Best Story of the Week…September 17th

As I emerged from my local market, an elderly man lost his balance, bracing himself against the side of the store.

A kid, who was perched in front with a coffee cup, asking for change, dropped it, to help the old man.

I was very moved at what I saw and heard next.

The old man said, “Aren’t you the one I just hollered at…said I wouldn’t give you a cent?”

The kid said, “Yeah, it’s me. You called me a lazy bum.”

The old man smiled and said, “Well, I guess you’re not so lazy after all.”

After the man collected himself, he went for his wallet, but the kid said, “It’s okay, you don’t have to pay me for helping you.”

Grace, last seen on 87th and Madison.

How it cheered me, even though I cried, all the way home.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, grace, Gratitude, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, Love, money, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Best Story of the Week…September 17th

1. BPO bPa says:

Perched

2. BPO bPa says:

What is the definition of perched

3. BPO bPa says:

Lovely

4. Pingback: Best Story of the Week…September 17th – fantasia

Those tears must be catchy, because now I have them. Yet another reminder not to pass judgement on others. I love your stories, Susannah.

6. Grace! Yes! Instant change like that could be a mini- miracle. No wonder you shed tears.

7. robprice59 says:

So many sad reasons to cry: nice to find a happy one.

8. kingmidget says:

It can come in the oddest places and times. At the end of June, we went up to the mountains for a weekend with family. On our way home, we stopped at Walker Burger — a burger place in a small mountain town — it’s kind of a tradition. While we stood in line waiting to order, I noticed that almost everybody had their masks on, except for the old guy behind me. Who just so happened to have his Trump 2020 hat on. I really wanted to turn around and tell him that the only message he was sending by not wearing a mask was that he didn’t care about his fellow humans. But I held my tongue.

A little later, I hobbled back to the window to wait for my food. This was a weekend when my knee was absolutely killing me. The old man followed me back to the window and then struck up a very nice conversation — in which he started by expressing concern for me because of my knee. So yeah, grace in small moments, including in front of the Walker Burger in the Eastern Sierra Nevada.

How ya doing otherwise? I’m still making my way through Truman — it’s quite tome-like.

These stories are the best, Susannah. Just when we think today’s youth are totally self-absorbed and unaware of their surroundings, something sweet like this happens.

10. Vasca says:

Very heartwarming, Susannah. Love hearing about such goodness…there is plenty of it that we don’t hear of often enough. Happy tears; I tend to melt in tears over happy things. This was very touching…and I love how the judgment disappeared replaced with appreciative thankfulness. Goodness witnessed…aah! Fresh air.

11. Sweet story, Susannah. I’m glad you were there.

12. That just goes to show how easy it is to judge people by the outsides. Thanks for sharing it. I’m sure that made the old man’s day as well.

Grace and humility are in shorter supply than TP and hand sanitizers . . .