Best Story of the Week…September 24th

As I’m walking home from my run, suddenly two little boys in their pajamas, whiz by me on scooters. 4 and 6 maybe, one taller than the other, with similar faces.

I look to see who they belong to, realizing at once who it is, when a bigger version, with a Black Lab, and a Collie, turns the corner on 86th.

“You have quite an enterprise,” I say, as he approaches.

He laughs, his mask dangling to one side, like a surgeon’s, and says, “You have no idea….HEY”!” he calls out to his sons who abruptly halt at the corner.

As we walk in step, he becomes totally tangled in the leashes of his two dogs.

His boys, like a tag team, cruise back. The younger one says, “Dad, not again!”

I try not to laugh since now he looks as if the dogs are walking him.

“Where’s mom?” I ask.

“Sleeping,” he says, a little begrudgingly.

“Well, I think you’re doing great,” I say, even though now he’s hopping on one foot. “How bout if I help?”

I manage to untangle Lassie who rolls her eyes as if to say, what are we gonna do with him? He can embarrass a girl.

I pet her, and whisper, be nice Lass.

“There, now that’s better,” I say to dad, “and hey, just want you to know, as an observer, I’m pretty impressed.”

“Why’s that?” he asks,” picking up after the Lab who has just pooped like a Marine.

“Because you’re not in your pajamas.”

I hand him back the Collie, leaving him grinning, with the poop bag still hot in his hand.

The two little boys, with the same grin, wave, as I cross the Avenue home.

🙂

This entry was posted in animals, comedy, Culture, Family, humanity, humor, kids, New York City, parents and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Best Story of the Week…September 24th

1. aFrankAngle says:

Way to cause a morning smile! Well done, SB.

2. Vasca says:

Aw, sweet morning story (anytime really, even in pajamas) and I smiled all the way. As the mom of four happy boys my smile spread as I reminisced! Hugs to your bright light.

Susannah, I’m sure your exchange gave him the pat on the back of appreciation that he needed. It’s the little things like that that keep us going. It sounds like he had his hands full, literally, ha ha!.

4. kingmidget says:

Had this conversation with friends at lunch earlier this week. One of them lives in a nearby college town that has green belts that wind all over the town. She goes for at least one, if not two, walks along those green belts each and every day. And she loves to say hello to people and converse with them while on her walks — whether she has met them before or not. She told a story about a recent encounter where her and her husband stopped to talk to a couple they had never met. As she walked away, the man said to his wife, “They were nice people.”

And isn’t that what we should be … nice. Friendly. Welcoming to those who walk into and out of our lives. When I run, hike or walk, I always say “hello” or “good morning” to those who cross my path. It rarely leads to much more interaction because I’m on the move, but I’m always amazed at how many people are shocked that I would say even those few words to them.

We need more friendship and consideration for each other.

• You’ve spoke of this before, and I too feel this way. I’m always smiling at others, though mask life has made that rather obsolete, but I’ll chat if the chance shows itself. Tell someone they look nice, or stop to admire their baby. Sadly, quite often than not, it’s not welcomed since, fear is the new friendly, but…we press on with our bot mots and good cheer and will continue to do so. We must be that change Mark, we want to see. Did you hear that? Mr. Gandhi just sighed, from the ether. 🙂

• Vasca says:

Your comment is most refreshing; I agree wholeheartedly with your actions. I too smile and greet everyone I meet and as you said, some are surprised to be spoken to by strangers. This approach is what’s needed in the world…friendliness and simply being nice/kind.

5. Eilene Lyon says:

Adorable! Just the right tone to start off the day. Have a beautiful one, Susannah.

6. That was a heart-warming tale. I wish you could pet Sadie and whisper in her ear. She’d likely lick your ear, though.

You unleashed alliteration with “like literary Little League”. How that rolls off the tongue!!

7. A very cute story today, Susannah. Ther is a guy in the neighborhood who jogs with a three-wheel baby thingy and a large curly haired white dog. I can just imagine his wife is sleeping as well. Thanks 😊