Best Story of the Week…October 1st

It’s barely 7 a.m. as I leave my friend’s grocery store, after waking up to a mix of upsetting messages, unable to kick myself back into neutral.

My friend, when he sees a big tear roll down my cheek, fills a bag with fresh rolls, shoving them in my arms…

food, the Italian remedy for all things.

Waiting to cross the street, I see a man getting up, after spending the night sleeping beneath a store awning. He’s Latino, in his 40s, appearing slim and strong, with Elvis hair and very shiny boots, one left unlaced.

There’s an elegance about him, an air of dignity, despite his present circumstances.

On impulse, I stop and say, “Excuse me, would you like a fresh roll?”

His smile is immediate, as if I’ve read his thoughts. “Yes, I’d like one, very much.”

I gently, with a napkin, take one from the bag handing it to him, feeling instantly better since, a random act of kindness, even better than bread, can cure almost anything.

I then see a blind man on the arm of a runner en route to the Park.

A teenage girl is passing the other way with a wonky walk that looks like remnants of childhood Polio.

Unlike me, neither look as if they’re feeling sorry for themselves.

There are no accidents, since God tends to speak through others, so my bout of self-pity is washed away like debris on a deserted beach.

But back to the guy under the awning, after he thanks me for the roll. Before taking flight, like a sister, affectionately speaking to a brother say, “Tie your shoe.”

And without pause, placing his roll neatly in its napkin onto the store step, kneels on one knee, and with an added grace, does.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, fitness, food, grace, humanity, inspiration, New York City, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Best Story of the Week…October 1st

Rather than an admonishment, “Tie your shoes” was seen as the words of caring they were meant to be. I bet your words warmed his heart as much as the bun.
    We all have pity parties now and then. The important thing is knowing when to leave. I hear Annie singing, “The sun’ll come out tomorrow.”

2. That’s grace, too — self-pity washed away. What a blessing you are!

3. aFrankAngle says:

Amazing how a random act of kindness can raise spirits of others and of self. πŸ™‚

4. Vasca says:

I love this Susannah…God does things like this all the time, that’s Him. Your friend gifted you with those rolls which was special. Voila, you ‘accidentally’ met someone who touched your heart. You, who had just been gifted became a ‘gifter’. A circle of love going round and round and where it’ll stop only God knows. Awesome.
    One of my favorite songs is: “Love Changes Everything” …it really, really does! Hugs!

One act of kindness begat another and that’s how we change the world. Lovely post.

6. Great line, “my bout of self-pity is washed away like debris on a deserted beach.” It speaks loudly to the fact that we see others in much worse condition than ourselves and who don’t seem to be bothered by that fact. Well done, Susannah.

When you think about it, our connection to strangers helps us grow every bit as much as our connection to people we know and love. We will have thousands of interactions with complete strangers over the course of a normal life, many of them nourishing like the one you’ve penned.

• Nicely said. I view most things, especially these days, as lessons to steer us more towards calmness and peace of mind. I don’t know about you, but lately I’m sitting 24/7 on the edge of my chair. The smallest thing strums me like a cheap banjo. I can let nothing pass, nothing roll off me. My sensitivity taking the rest of me, hostage. Oh Mr. Imma, the strangers in our midst are like substitute teachers that rather than a day, instruct for a mere minute. JUST A MINUTE…OPEN YOUR MIND TO CHAPTER 1…HOW IMPORTANT IS IT?

• Sorryless says:

Wow if this is not a favorite comment.

• How important is it is a 12 Step tenet since addicts tend to be easily riled, and you know where that can lead. Also, growing up as a kid with alcoholic parents, your senses sharpen like a cat’s never knowing what will be waiting for you. Will mom be happily baking, or cutting off the head of one of my dolls? I remember at 9, having eczema from being so nervous. Imagine explaining that to your classmates in gym class. I’m not squirrely for nothing Mr. Imma. sigh…will check out Heroes. Sorry to be late.

• Sorryless says:

You reading me is good stuff, SB. When you read me matters less than the fact you keep coming back. πŸ™‚

As for parents with that specific need? I relate. It was more patriarchal in nature, and I stopped blaming the drink when I finally figured out he was really good at being an asshole sober. The echoes reverberate, in everything.

• Now there’s a good point. Yes, sober alcoholics still have the isms, more often than not…those defects in character..ah yes.

• Sorryless says:

I don’t wish to speak ill of the man, seeing as how I still talk to him maybe once a month. But that whole scene was crazy and quite often destructive.

• Hate to sound trite, but it’s very typical. Self absorption is the driving force. The me me me…it’s always about me. Comes with the troubled terrain the addict lives in. I didn’t have much of that because, you need an ego, and mine thanks to the alcoholics who badly raised me, never had much self esteem, which is the seed that distorts and runs wild. Who am I channeling I wonder.

• Sorryless says:

I never had that ego either. I grew up with parents who loved hosting, and perception of a happy home mattered above all else. So it’s no wonder I came to resent such things. When you understand the lie, you can never be comfortable living it.

• Well put. As long as it looked good. sigh

• Sorryless says:

It’s why I pay attention to what people do and not what they say. It would seem so simple, and yet . . .

• An old adage eternally true.

8. robprice59 says:

Oh how the world could benefit from a little less “grass is greener” and a little more “there, but for the throw of the dice, go I”. Great piece Susannah.

9. That is beautiful, Susannah. There is a lot of grace in the world, if we are looking for it.