Best Story of the Week…October 15th

Here I am, en route to the Apple Store’s Genius Bar, annoyed I need help, finding myself walking behind an older couple.

I don’t know how old, just that their backs are well-heeled, his in a classic blue blazer over pressed tan slacks, with shiny, what look to be, Ferragamo loafers.

She in a skirt and blouse, in pale shades of green, a matching jacket across her arm…black kitten heels, legs bathed in high-end hose. I can’t see her handbag, but betting, it’s vintage Chanel.

Their gait is southern slow, taking in the last of the late afternoon sun, sweetly holding hands.

Suddenly, right when I’m about about to pass, he stops, grabbing her by the shoulders, pulling her close, kissing her.

It’s no token kiss either, no quick brush of the lips, no gratuitous smooch.

It’s From Here To Eternity, The Long Hot Summer…it’s Scarlett and Rhett, on the staircase.

It’s then I see they’re well into their 70s, possibly older, his toupee now more obvious, her face, showing its miles.

Be that as it may…

their ardor, still in play…lust, despite dog-eared, laced in tenderness, leaves me happy, flush in their light.

When he breaks the embrace, chucking her under the chin, I swear I hear Bogart say…

here’s lookin’ at you kid, as they continue their stroll, while I make my way to the Apple Store.Β Β

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, Fashion, humanity, inspiration, Love, New York City, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Best Story of the Week…October 15th

1. Beautiful. Thank you. 😍

Heartwarming, Susannah. So often it seems that the wealthy have trouble with true love, at least with the one to whom they are married (ha ha).

Liked by 2 people

3. aFrankAngle says:

I’ve got the feeling you enjoyed this scene even more than you appear to in this post.

What a beautiful thing to witness! (Speaking of forever love…)

5. Sweet scene. Thanks for sharing.

6. Clever Girl says:

There you go again: giving me hope for mankind. Sheesh
    πŸ™‚

7. Vasca says:

I’ve been extremely misty-eyed today; one year ago today the love of my life Michael left this earthly home for the ‘best place’. This couple you were privileged to witness charging their batteries reminded me of us. M would do that to me and even days before his death he had extremely passionate kisses to lay on my happy lips! We were ‘hand-holders’ and people commented they wished they were ‘like us’. Love does bat last…like God. Thanks for posting this. Love it…and it made my day!

• Those memories will stay with you, always. I just finished a book you’d like called, Must You Go, My Life With Harold Pinter, by Antonia Fraser, written in diary form. It’s romance can’t be rivaled, well, except perhaps, with yours and Michael’s. πŸ™‚

8. I’m late reading posts today, but this was uplifting when I was ready for a smile.

9. Eilene Lyon says:

How steamy! What a great scene and so well written.

• They left quite an impression. They were clearly smitten with one another. I later thought, maybe they’ve just met, online. Our imagination knows no bounds. I do prefer thinking, it was an old, cherished union I was lucky enough to see. πŸ™‚

10. aFrankAngle says:

Off topic – but I posted at Sorryless today.

You must remember this, a smooch is coochie coo . .

Passion never has to be difficult. It’s nice to see people who abide to the beautiful larceny of a stolen kiss in broad daylight.