Fashion On The Cheap

I always laugh when someone says, I’m well dressed, assuming, I spend a fortune on what I wear.

HAH, is all I can say.

I have 3 words for you. J. Crew Factory.   images-3.jpeg

Alright 5, tossing in The Gap.

The Gap continues to be the best deal in town, while the Factory preens online like a call girl awaiting your call.

When bored, check in to see their...new arrivals, as if they’ve just disembarked the QE2.

If you have a J. Crew Credit Card, easier to get than one thinks, you never pay shipping, that, let’s face it, could break a girl. How often have I ordered something that cost 20 bucks, and the shipping 25? Not often since…

DELETE DELETE DELETE

But back to cheap glamour…a look so easily achieved.

Of course, and don’t get insulted, but too many women blame fashion on weight.

Oh, it’s because you’re so thin, you can wear that.

No, it’s because you’re blaming me for those 8 desserts you had. And being fleshy, as my old pal Camille would say, doesn’t mean you can’t have a little pizazz when you hit the streets.

There’s a woman I see who’s anything but skinny, who wears the loveliest clothes. Well tailored cotton shifts in pretty pastels, images-4.jpeg a sweater tied around her shoulders. Jack Rogers sandals, Unknown-1.jpeg a scarf or silver chain showin’ off her girl.

I’ve told her many times how great she looks.

The plain truth is, it doesn’t cost much to look nice, doesn’t matter what you weigh.

Invest in a few staples, like a navy blazer  images-2.jpeg and classic trench.images-3.jpeg A little black dress for evening.  images-3.jpeg The Factory always has them on sale, but I suggest getting everything a size bigger because there is a downside…ALAS…

NO RETURNS.

So, you take the jacket to a tailor, that yes, will increase the price, but you’ll still walkaway with a great deal, and you should have a good seamstress anyway.

Ask any French woman who looks great, rich or poor.

Jeans, khakis…long and short. A white button-down. Unknown.jpeg A French sailor shirt,   images-1.jpeg a cardigan…navy…off white.

All available at the GAP, also a great card to have, especially during their Friends and Family Sale.

Toss in a hoodie, a pair’a plain, black Audrey flats, and one more thing…images-2.jpeg

try skipping that 8th dessert.

A friendly suggestion. 🙂

images-2.jpeg

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, dessert, Fashion, fitness, food, humanity, humor, inspiration, internet, media, New York City, shopping, women, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Fashion On The Cheap

That’s the thing. People want their eighth dessert, and they want a diet that includes all the good stuff and does not require exercise. And they want to also fit into their summer duds with no problemos. I grew up Catholic, so I have a deep and abiding sense of loyalty to my guilt. Like the time I made a little too merry at a family gathering to ring in the year 2000. Up till the ungodliest of hours and then a small group of us actually wrangled my then wife into driving us to breakfast, since she had partaken sensibly. At six in the AM, I forced myself out of bed and went for a run,

It was still fresh in my mind how I had once let myself go and ballooned up in weight before hitting reset on it all, and so nope . . I understand full well I pay sticker price for my dietary misdeeds.

• You’re up early. Being vigilant about food and drink, sweets and all that stuff we know we shouldn’t have is a full time job. Looking nice is a sign of self worth I’ve always believed, and also know, all about that Catholic…one more false move and you’re goin’ to hell…business. For a cookie? For a rip in my jeans…okay…my butt’s showing…what ya mean, no butts. Good morning Mr. Imma. Chilly in these parts.

• Sorryless says:

Problem is, the “Get Thin In Twenty Minutes” BS that gets book deals on the regular isn’t worth the paper it’s wasting.

I marvel a the thousand and one flavors of “health bars” that are loaded with sugar. I shake my head at the diet shakes that are about as sustainable as my father’s old Eldorado. And I think it’s a fool’s wish to think that being in good shape requires zero discipline or accountability. Adults behave like children when it comes to this stuff. They want to look great without putting in the work, and that’s not how it goes.

Sorry for the rant, but hey, I’m a reformed “fatty”. Ooooh, can I say that without offending anyone? I was at 240 pounds in my early twenties as the result of no longer playing sports while still eating what I had been eating when I was. And so I lost a ton of weight and basically I never looked back.

Good morning. Chilly here too. Good morning for a run.

• You have to read labels, though no one does. I love sardines and they’re loaded with sodium. Found a great one that costs more, but has a mere 56 mils, all from reading what’s in it.

Effort to eat well ain’t popular among the masses. And the word diet for me, translates into temporary. You need to learn how to eat and eat well and healthily. I never talk like this since I get so much shit over being thin and now, not drinking. But I can spar rants with you over grams and calories. I’m about to saute a few mushrooms to pop into my Sunday scrambled eggs. So exciting. And after just running, yes…great day for a run. 🙂

• Sorryless says:

And that’s a good point too, because the “demand” for more labeling on fast food sure as hell hasn’t slowed down that train any. I guess the patrons at the golden arches just douse the nutritional info with extra ketchup.

It’s not hard to eat right, and it’s certainly possible for everyone to do so. Like anything else, it’s a decision that we make. People can justify poor choices all they want, but it doesn’t change the fact they are poor choices.

Mmmmm, I love mushrooms.

• If I ate at Micky D’s. I’d die. My body would go into fast food shock and the rest would be history. Yeah, mushrooms rock.

• Sorryless says:

I do it every now and again. The idea of hitting up that place several times a week and more? Yeesh!

• Yes…you’d then be sorrowful.

• Sorryless says:

Of course, the regulars take meds to control this and meds to control that, and I gotta wonder f the meds might have been preventable if they’d tried eating more sensibly.

• Anti-depressants are known to put on weight.
        Most people, on or off meds, don’t monitor the times they eat. I like the phrase, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner, like a pauper. It woiks Mr. Imma.

• Sorryless says:

It’s one of the reasons I have done my best to stay off em. Not the only reason for sure.

It does woik, but when eating every meal like a king is the norm . . we got problems.

• Hal Caesar…salad. 🙂

• Sorryless says:

Well played kitty cat

• I’m taking paws over that. 🙂

2. aFrankAngle says:

Keep on stylin’, SB.

You’re right on target, Susannah. A few good items are better than a slew of inferior pieces that fall apart or pill with the first or second washing.
    It didn’t take long to discover that my quality clothes stayed in my closet forever, while the cheap fad items quickly got tossed. I still have two wool capes that my ‘rich’ cousin handed down in high school (over 50 years ago).
    I’ve never been to the J Crew Factory site, but will check it out pronto. Their sales will probably show a significant climb after your followers read this piece. You should get a cut, ha ha!

‘Tis so true. It doesn’t cost a lot to look decent. A friend of mine, who is on the other side of plump.somehow always, ALWAYS looks fabulous. She buys clothes that fit her well and she doesn’t like to “slum”. Hair and face always done – not extravagant, just taken care of. It’s funny, there are those who look more put together in jeans than others in a suit. Weight not being the reason. Some just know how to dress – even if they have that 8th dessert.
    It’s so much better when we have balance, I say.

5. I always paid top dollar for shirts and suits. I still have a suit from Neiman’s that is 40 years old. Of course, board shorts and T’s have replaced business attire, I only keep the suit in case I need to go to the White House. Enjoyed the post.