Did You Know? Day of the Dead Edition…2020

Yes, I have an undeniably ghoulish streak.

Consider it part of my charm, spawned from all the biographies and True crime books I’ve read.

To quote the late, great Diana Vreeland, dying of a heart attack at 85 claiming she was 72, so…let’s get crackin’.

JFK had the last rites four times, before taking the 5th, in Dallas.

The rosary beads used by Catholic priest, Father Oscar L. Hubur, were auctioned off in 2019 for $13,000.

Jackie had placed her wedding band onto her husband’s pinkie when he was pronounced dead, then asked for it back.

LBJ refused to leave without her, even though the Secret Service insisted, I believe out of humanity.

He had two daughters remember.

Jackie’s bloody pink suit, she refused to change so we’d see…what they did to him…won’t be made public until 2103, upon her request.

Have we...shivered me timbers…yet?

Actress, Mariska Hargitay, famous for her role as Olivia Benson on Law and Order Special Victim’s Unit, was 3, when she survived the fatal 1967 car crash killing her mother, actress Jayne Mansfield, at 34.

In the Large Edition that should grace every coffee table, not just mine and John Waters’s, Kenneth Anger’s, Hollywood Babylon, has a graphic photo of the car, along with Miss Mansfield’s dead chihuahua.

Okay, so it’s not exactly Disney, but remember, Bambi’s mother too, gets it in the end.

In June, 1969, over 22,000 mourners paid their last respects to Judy Garland, ODing at 47, lying majestically in a glass covered casket at Manhattan’s famed, Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home, earning it the now name…

The Judy Garland Memorial Chapel.

It was their second largest funeral, Rudolph Valentino dying in 1926 at 31, the first, with 100,000 mourners, mostly women.

Wednesday Addams, that little demonic shit of the 60s TV show, The Addams Family, has a fan club on Facebook with 1,852 members.

When actor, Bela Lugosi, died in 1956 at 73 of heart failure, his will didn’t say he wished to be buried in his Dracula costume, as natty as it was.

See how rumors get started?

In July, 1982 during the making of the film, The Twilight Zone, along with three others, actor Vic Morrow, age 53, was killed during a helicopter crash, making Vic lose his head, literally.

Designer Coco Chanel, after a jaunty stroll with a friend, laid on her bed at Paris’s Hotel Ritz, before saying to her maid, Celine, “You see, this is how you die,” and did.

The chic Natzi lover control freak, was 87.

This however, doesn’t mean we should throw out those gold-chained clutch bags and little cropped jackets.

Didn’t know Coco liked SOURKRAUT?

During the Second World War, she brazenly kept company with a handsome SS Officer named, Baron Hans Gunther von Dinchlage.

Unlike many women who cozied up to the enemy, Coco did not get her head shaved.

Like I always say, it all comes down to who ya know.  🙂

I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too.  I don’t think so.

Happy Halloween

This entry was posted in animals, art, Books, Culture, Health, humanity, media, New York City, Politics, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Did You Know? Day of the Dead Edition…2020

You know I love these trivia posts of yours, Susannah!
    And very à propos for today
    Happy Hallowe’en!

I love these stories, Susannah. I remember when Jayne Mansfield’s accident happened, but never heard about her chihuahua, and nary a whisper about Coco’s Natzi leanings. My father and brother always watched Vic in Combat, so I saw a lot of it by osmosis.
    Perfect post for Halloween!

• I’ve been waitin’ for you since, I don’t expect many comments on this weird choice of info, though I will say, thoroughly enjoyed penning it. Those pictures were taken by someone I’ll admit, like me…with an instamatic. Where does that girl ghoul come from I wonder. As a kid, I had a huge crush on Vincent Price after memorizing all the dialogue in House on Haunted Hill. Go figure. 🙂

3. Kate Howell says:

Cute , now u can give us a story on Sean Connery who passed today at 90. These actors live long lives. Hope you’re well ! 😎

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

4. A super set of macabre tidbits. I did not know CoCo hung with the Baron. I did know shortly before her outing as a spy she was going to try and take a note to Churchill through the Spanish on behalf of several German officers who wanted to end the war. She never made it and was returned back to France.

• She lived at The Ritz with him the entire span of the war. He protected her, and many women who also flagrantly fraternized with the SS, were punished publicly by getting their heads shaved along with being ostracized. But not Coco though, they let her resume her business I gather because, she was Paris’s fashion maven at the time and they needed her. It tarnished her reputation but she flourished just the same. My two cents.

5. Most enjoyable! Happy Halloween!

I have to wonder why Jackie’s coat won’t be available for another eighty years.

As for Morrow, I remember that. It’s a good thing it didn’t happen in this day and age, seeing as how it would have made its way onto YouTube . . as macabre a thought as it is to think, it’s true.

• OOH…what a thought. Poor Vic at the mercy of…play it again. Jackie had her reasons I guess. That is quite a distant date Mr. Imma now that you mention it. Who knows. She also told her kids knowing she was checking out, to sell everything they didn’t want because they’d make a fortune, and indeed did, auctioning off everything but her socks paying off that hefty inheritance tax. So many macabre facts, so little time.

• Sorryless says:

To think, that’s how life and death are treated now. A viral concept. Sadly.

That IS a long time, and yes it made me wonder why it was so long and how it is seemingly a random spell of time. Or maybe not? Hmmmm.

• It couldn’t have been an easy subject for her. Maybe it was a way of expunging what happened. What I always found interesting was, they call it her pink Chanel suit. It was a copy, not an original that she had worn before, not normally repeating outfits. But JFK really liked it, and asked her to wear it. How’s that for creepy trivia. Those ghoulish hits just keep in comin’.

• Sorryless says:

Jackie was nothing if not self aware. She understood every single moment she walked through and how important they were given the position she held. The people who found her to be nothing more than an orchestrator are really missing the point.

She fucking had to make sure we remembered. Because as has been shown time and again, we are really good at forgetting.

• I’ll say…like now ya mean Mr. Imma? All those deaths like they never happened?

• Sorryless says:

Right. We imagined all of that, I’m guessing.

• As long as we make money, what’s a few million dead Americans. Yes, I jest, but this is Trumpism at its worse.

• Sorryless says:

That is where we are at. Fuck.

• Every minute it changes. Take faith.

• Sorryless says:

I have it. I’ll hold onto it. It’s more valuable than all those essentials I’m supposed to have been stocking up on.

• Just get ready for retaliation like we’ve never seen. Buckle up Mr. Imma

• Sorryless says:

And it starts now I guess. Biden just went over the top.

• Yeah…McConnell already said, he’s offering a much smaller stimulus package he knows Nancy won’t accept. They’ll start by being real vindictive while he’s still in office. Always a downside, but Joe is in, and Don is out. God sure batted last, didn’t he?

• Sorryless says:

The Don was taken out in Nevada . . Mikey Corleone’s back yahd. Yeah . . Joe “I got ya First State right heah!” officially told the Don, “Ya fired!”.

• Despite its metaphoric implications, I’m laughing. Humor has few manners, which can be viewed as a good thing. Did you know, Mr. Coppola bought that horse head from a butcher? A local guy who happened to have one laying around. 🙂

• Sorryless says:

You hit the daily double in your first sentence as per the files . . . metaphoric and implications.

I did not know that. And I mean, now I don’t know which is more frightening. A couple of wiseguys stuffing it between that big shot director’s sheets. Or a butcher who happens to have one laying around . . .

• The Godfather, in my opinion, one of the greatest films ever made, was made on a shoe string. Even though big balled Bob Evans was behind it, Coppola had so many problems to face. They didn’t want Al Pacino. Imagine the film without him sitting in the den with his face the size of a Zeppelin after being clocked by the crooked cop suggesting he blow Solotzo and co. away personally, saying to Sonny…it’s business Sonny, not personal. You just popped my Godfather file as you can well see Mr. Imma. OOPS!!!

Liked by 2 people

• Sorryless says:

My favorite movie(s). One of the few where the sequel is arguably better than the original. Even though I have to say, I’m partial to the first since it includes all the iconic characters.

I can see that, the shoe string budget. The movie business hasn’t changed that much in all this time, has it?

Oh the characters they had in mind before settling on the roster! Robert Redford or Ryan O’Neil as Michael. Martin Sheen and Cahn also screened for the role. De Niro screened for Sonny. Sinatra as Vito. And are you sitting down? Elvis for Tom Hagen.

If that popped your file, we might need to go file shopping because something tells me we could go on. And on.

• Elvis as Tom? OY. Sure don’t see that at all. I love Tom Hagen. Love when at the wedding, Kay asks Michael why Tom has a different last name, and he says how…Sonny brought him home one day…like a stray cat since, he had no home, and they just kept him. I SO LOVE THAT!!!

• Sorryless says:

Talk about turning the Godfather into a Vegas act.

I love Duval as Hagen, and yes, I love that scene very much. LOL.

Hagen being killed off in Godfather 3 was one of the many strikes in what COULD have been the Tutti Capper to the series. They got into a contract dispute with Duval, so rather than pay him, they kill off his character. WTF.

• He didn’t like the part Coppola wrote for him. I thought it was over money, but after just rereading both of Eleanor Coppola’s books, she said, Duval’s absence was about creative differences. It was like filming with a missing limb. sigh

• Sorryless says:

Creative differences . . . as in the first two were masterpieces and the third one was rushed and worse . . it was forgettable.

• Agreed. The only one who comes off gallantly is Andy Garcia. Sofia Coppola replacing Winona Ryder, well…what was Francis thinking. I’m happy she regained global self-respect when she became a director herself. But as an actress, it still gives me shivers.

• Sorryless says:

Poor Andy was in a no win situation. Well no . . I shouldn’t say that since he won plenty at the box office in the 90s. But this Godfather episode COULD have been so good, if only they hadn’t rushed it. If only they had been more respectful to the two masterpieces that came before it. I never forgave Francis Ford for that . . .

• I always remind myself, some of the best film makers have had major flops. The guy who made Shampoo and Heaven Can Wait, also made Istar. Sidney Pollack who I got to meet, a gem of a man, made Out of Africa, Three Days of the Condor, They Shoot Horses Don’t They and the remake of Sabrina that he could have been fined for. And my idol, Nora Ephron whose Sleepless in Seattle still makes me laugh and cry, made Bewitched and Mixed Nuts. She rests her case,

• Sorryless says:

This be true, and the flops I get. One of my all time favorites is M Night. That dude carried the burden of his brilliant turn in Sixth Sense, and I think he tried to make it work that way each and every time rather than just letting loose with his amazing ability to tell a story and keep you invested. He had some bombs, but I hung on because I knew he was great. And of course he’s proven it time and again.

My problem with Francis was that I don’t feel like he gave the proper respect to an all time, hall of fame series. It felt rushed, it felt, to me, unimportant. And I hate that.

• I agree. It was like a Hallmark version. And Pacino as a Pope. Or was it a cardinal. wrong wrong wrong.

• Sorryless says:

A Hallmark version. That is perfect, SB . . it is! I can see it now . .

“This holiday season, all Michael wants for Christmas is to be out. But his crazy family keeps pulling him back in!”

• Have you ever watched those Hallmark flicks? Imagine one of their cards, in flight.

• Sorryless says:

I was channel surfing and came upon a movie with the Meghan Markle in it. The movie sounded just like a commercial.

• Exactly!!! The Reader’s Digest version of film making.

• Sorryless says:

My God. My mother used to read that. I would read the funny stories but really . . .

• Mine too. I think it was mandatory mother’s reading material.

7. I have a macabre streak too, so I liked your list. 🙂 Coco Chanel was apparently very in control, including how she died. That’s impressive.