Voting 6 Feet Apart

The drum roll has begun.

Why does this presidential election feel more like the apocalypse than a Democracy?

Hell if I know.

Rather than noble Americans, we’re more like the Jets and Sharks in West Side Story, the way we’ve belligerently taken sides.

It’s my way or the highway instead of, we can peacefully agree, to disagree.

I don’t know about you, but I’m still a throwback to the well-mannered party member.

Peggy Noonan, a writer I love enough to subscribe to her newsletter, wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal that curled my hair. Not due to the bulk of the essay which had its usual merit, but at the end when she said….she’s not voting.

This is a woman with a huge following, an example to the rest of us, equally confused and teetering on the fence, though it doesn’t take much to know, not voting out of petulance, isn’t the answer.

What’s that Ms Anthony? What’s that ya say, Mrs. Stanton? You can’t believe Peggy’s not voting? Well ladies, unless it’s a colossal typo, she’s not.

Those two brave women along with many others, who marched, were called names, laughed at, and after all they went through, never saw the vote they worked so tirelessly for in their lifetimes, may no longer rest in peace.

These are hard times.

We’ve been hit with a war without arms to combat it, so the least we can do is open ours to one other, hoping for a just…

for the betterment of the country, outcome.

Not voting is not the American way. It’s an insult to our Founding Fathers.

Peggy, who as a Republican loathing Donald Trump, sees no refuge in the Democratic candidate. What a shame Peggy to learn that you have no forthright flexibility, especially for a writer of such high esteem.

You call abstaining an honorable choice, as your advocate, I say it’s beneath you.

Americans must look at the whole board.

Mr. Biden isn’t the Messiah.

But he’s what there is, and what he has that appeals particularly to me, is the humanity he has shown over and over again, a quality that’s been noticeably on the lam since 2016.

Will he cure the virus? End economic uncertainty? Make certain that Black lives matter without the violence and unrest?

Hell if I know, but what I truly believe in my heart, is that with the best minds around him, he’ll give his noble best.

Please vote.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, grace, History, humanity, inspiration, media, Politics, readng, war, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Voting 6 Feet Apart

Susannah, I too wish there was a viable third choice, but there isn’t. We need to work with what we’ve got (4 Ws). I don’t want to vote for either, so essentially I’ll vote against the one I want least. If a person doesn’t vote, he/she better keep his/her trap shut and not offer up grievances against the president over the next four years.
    Advocating voting abstinence is unamerican!

2. Not voting is not a viable alternative. I have trepidation about the radical left and nice guy Joe is going to want to try and get along with them. Bad guy Donald will continue to raise everyone’s hackles. The net net for the average person is more confusion and angst no matter who wins. So vote for the side you believe has the best chance of holding this democracy together and pray for the best. Super post, Susannah.

3. kingmidget says:

I’m going to both agree and disagree with you. I think that somebody who typically votes making a decision to not vote is “voting” in a way. And that it’s an acceptable exercise of the franchise. What bothers me are the people who don’t vote in general. But … I didn’t vote in the 2000 presidential election because I couldn’t stand either major candidate and I certainly wasn’t going to vote for Ralph Nader. Then in 2016, I didn’t vote for either of the major party candidates. I wrote in a name instead. The name was a joke, but it reflected how I felt about the choices the major parties had delivered to us. Some would say that was a wasted vote, but it was how I felt about that election.

But this year … I don’t think not voting is a viable option. The choice is so clear, between a candidate who is just so fundamentally wrong on everything and who is so crass and so destructive, and a candidate who, although far from perfect, has dignity, grace, and respect for our country’s norms and institutions and traditions. Every rational and sane American should be voting this year to oust the Orange Clown. There is no other choice or option on the table.

• I was thinking about President Trump during my run. He treated the Oval Office like any other office. It was not special to him. The Resolute desk may as well have come from IKEA. As a business man, his businesses can’t be doing any better than anyone else’s, hence…the economy is first, the health of Americans, second. What’s a few million deaths anyway.

Thanks.

• Morning Midget…two things, one, have you ever read Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand? I just finished it for the 3rd time and again, was so impressed and moved by her prose. I think you’d like it. So much history since it takes place in the 30s and 40s in all parts of the country. People like Bing Crosby, a big race fanatic, and Gable and Lombard make cameos. And the race tracks during the depression. Even FDR was a Seabiscuit fan it seems.

The other thing is, I didn’t really respond to your comment about not voting being a choice since, I understand it. I do. In Peggy Noonan’s case, having her platform I feel gives her a responsibility. In your case, who knew. Your wife and kids maybe, a friend. You weren’t cavilling about. It was personal. Many people just want an excuse not to vote, especially this election since the lines are very long. Lots of controversy, etc. Laziness more than their democratic choice would be their reason. Kind of Trump refusing to wear a mask in his position when he needs to be the example. How many people refuse to wear one because their president doesn’t? New York crawls with the maskless self-righteous. It’s mind blowing. Anyway…she’s a very influential lady, and I believe what she did was careless. And my cyber friend, we can agree to disagree. It’s America after all. 🙂

• kingmidget says:

I’m pretty sure I read Sea Biscuit, but not totally sure. My favorite book about horse racing was Man O’ War. I checked it out of the library repeatedly when I was a kid. Bought a copy around five years ago and read it again after decades away. Man O’ War was the greatest race horse that ever lived.

As for voting, I don’t necessarily disagree with you with respect to today’s election. 2020 is a year in which people have to make a choice. On which side do they stand. On the side of darkness and fear and intolerance. Or on the side of light and hope. There is no middle ground this year.

4. Vasca says:

To each his/her own. A president will be elected and it is our duty to respect the victor. My prayer is that we will behave ourselves; it shouldn’t break us to keep our mouths full of being nice talk and bury our differences. Ya’ know…like pulling together. No matter what.

Terrible that a well-respected woman would put that out there. After all that was done to get the right to vote in the first place. I disagree with Midget. Not voting is not the way to go about it. If you so loathe the candidates, vote for a third party, one who stands no chance, because to do nothing takes away a fundamental right worked so hard to achieve. Hey, maybe one day, that third party will come outta left field and win the damn thing and actually do something good for the country. Okay, okay, that is very Disney of me but still.

It’s funny (ironic) but admittedly, I didn’t vote for Obama back in the day. I had my reasons, but those reasons never prevented me from liking him, from reading on him and thinking him a masterful orator. I wasn’t in love with either of his opponents, but I fell more in line with them at that time so there’s that. I never imagined NOT voting though. Hell, I would vote for Elvis if it came to that. And so what if it meant slot machines in the White House? . . .

7. Eilene Lyon says:

That’s a terrible shame she put that out there. I hope more of her readers take her to task for it. I wish we would reform our voting so that we knew the results of the election would reflect the will of the majority. I can understand the frustration that results for so many Americans because of the archaic and perverted electoral college. Our democratic republic has become stagnant and unrepresentative. But not voting isn’t a way to improve the situation.

• When Midget gave his side of the argument saying that, not voting is a choice, I do understand that, but she’s got more of a responsibility in my opinion and many people just want an excuse out of sheer laziness. Have a friend registered in Florida who said, it was just too much trouble being here in New York to send in his ballot. What do you say to that? Anyway, the drum rolls. Thanks, as always.

8. I know some other Republicans who are not voting for similar reasons, but as you said, I think it’s our duty to vote, even if it’s not a great choice. Biden wasn’t my first choice but I think he’s a decent person and he’s much better than the alternative. We’ll see what happens.