What I Didn’t Say

When a woman walked into my friend’s grocery store, without a mask, refusing to wear one when he politely asked her to, I didn’t say…hey bitch, who do you think you are?

After my friend made the decision not to press it, rather than blurting, what makes her different from the rest of us, zipped my masked lip.

A man left his Miniature Poodle outside of Starbucks while he sat inside drinking his coffee. Rather than ripping him a new one for neglect, since canine theft skulks the neighborhood, I stayed with the dog till the careless asshole came out. When he cooed, “I see Maisie has a new friend,” I bit my lip before turning on my high heel.

I’d been to a wake at Campbells to pay my respects to a man I had worked for. Overhearing a woman saying, “Look how pale he is, and yellow around the eyes,” I held back a…pale? Yellow? He’s dead, you idiot, without smacking her.

The Funeral Director who I’ve known forever, popped over smiling like it was more a wedding than a wake, wanting so much to say, Charlie, I’ll call him, remember where the fuck you are.

Is that a body bag in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

A woman, drenched in Gucci, beside herself delayed behind a can man whose shopping cart filled with empties was a bit too slow, didn’t hear me snap, just be glad cupcake, that’s not you.

The very, rich, entitled man whose…

let’s combine three apartments renovation during an epidemic while people are already about to stick their heads in the oven…said, “Miss Bianchi.Β  So nice to see you. Hope my men aren’t being too much of a nuisance.”

Well, all I can say, I didn’t say, or better yet, do, was knee him so hard in the balls, to quote a film I like…it gave him a nose bleed.

Lip control, the new black.Β

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, humanity, humor, media, men, money, New York City, Politics, Starbucks, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to What I Didn’t Say

Susannah, I’m not the best at biting my tongue, so I know how much control it takes to do so. Here’s an idea for an entrepreneur: A plastic coated sign on a little stick that we could hold up in situations like those above. It might read ‘It’s a good thing you can’t read my mind, you prig’ or ‘Why is it always the A__holes that feel so privileged?’
    I bet you can think of some doozies. Maybe I’ll get Pookie busy making them.

2. Lip control!! You had iron control of your tongue. I have the feeling you did the right thing, because you might have gotten hurt if any of those scenes had played out. Please be careful.

I envy your lip control. There was a gentler, kindler middle that followed my tempestuous youth, where diplomacy won the day. And now I find myself revisiting my Mr Hyde in such instances. Four letter word control . . I need it badly.

4. The nice thing about a mask is you can have clenched teeth and no one is the wiser. 😬

5. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Cute ! you’re so tough yet restrained !

Best,
    Hal

6. kingmidget says:

I frequently had these moments when difficult situations arose at work. The “regret” of later replaying the conversation and thinking, “if only I had said …”

7. Vasca says:

Best being grateful you said nothing – on your best behavior!

Yes, the masks do help hide our moues of disgust when faced with those who think they are above the rest – in a variety of situations, as you’ve so skillfully displayed. Of course, eyes can speak volumes and they are harder to hide… Been told mine speak rather loudly. A blink to reset and they are none the wiser, if I so choose (I like to think). Funny how, as we get older, we feel less the need to hold back our thoughts but that serves no purpose right now, does it? The eejits will all still be there.

9. robprice59 says:

I am pleased to hear that you have toned down some of your crusading. I’ve been begging you for years, whilst waiting with trepidation news of your demise by the hand of some nutter you’ve confronted. Smile sweetly is enough. It shames those who understand but washes over those who cannot learn.

10. Eilene Lyon says:

To speak or not to speak…it’s not even a question anymore but self-preservation. If I’d really won’t change anything or bring enlightenment to the delusional, just a waste of breath. I find myself self-censoring more these days. Peace.