Did You Know?

Eleanor Roosevelt was a hair under six feet tall, and the first, First Lady (1933-1945) to ever ride in an airplane.

Wonder if she bumped her head.

In 1921, President Warren Harding’s Airedale Terrier, Laddie Boy, was the first White House pet to receive regular news coverage.

Jackie Kennedy’s favorite dessert was Dunkin Hines Chocolate Cake, her longtime cook, Marta Sgubin, made for her daily, didn’t matter who was coming to dinner.

Josephus Daniels, Secretary of the Navy during

World War I, banished alcohol from the fleet, replacing it with coffee, hence, the expression...cup’a Joe, who after that, wasn’t too popular.

In 1995, Country and Western singer, Dolly Parton, created The Imagination Library, where needy kids could receive free books in the mail each month, from birth until age 5, starting with…

The Little Engine That Could.

The Emmett Till Antilynching Act which passed unanimously by the 116th Congress, on January 3, 2019, was introduced by our newly elected-Vice President, Kamala Harris, as the Junior United States Senator, of California.

Who was Emmet Till?

A 14 year-old boy of color, who was hanged in Mississippi in 1955 after being accused of offending a white woman in her family’s grocery store.

Took 64 years for the law to pass, to make it a hate crime.

When Abraham Lincoln occupied the White House, he rode a horse called ‘Old Bob.’

Abe, was also the first President to bring a cat to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Tabby was her name, a gift from Abe’s Secretary of State, William H. Seward.

When Yankee Stadium opened on April 18th, 1923, Babe Ruth hit its very first home run, and 365 more during his 15 years as a Yankee, coining it, The House That Ruth Built.

Elizabeth Taylor, though no longer together, kept a framed photograph of Richard Burton on her nightstand till the day she died.

French actor, Charles Boyer, devastated over the loss of his wife of 44 years, two days before his 79th birthday, took a fatal overdose of sleeping pills.

All of France mourned.

So long Charlie.

Myth has it, the term, So long, Charlie, was coined by jockey, George The ‘Iceman’ Woolf, leading the legendary Seabiscuit on November, 1st, 1938, to victory against the unbeatable, War Admiral, during what was called The Race of The Century, uttering the now-iconic line to War Admiral’s jockey, Charlie Kurtsinger, as he passed him by.

The Actor, Johnny Depp, honoring his dear friend’s last request, shot writer, Hunter S. Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon, at the mere cost of 5 million dollars.

Now that’s what I call a a pal.

Actor and Director, Emilio Estvez, made the film Bobby (2006), about the final moments of Robert F. Kennedy, at Los Angeles, California’s Ambassador Hotel, where the assassination on June 6, 1968, took place.

It was torn down shortly after.

In 1990, a young model longing to be an actress, made her film debut in a movie directed by the actor, Bill Murray, called Quick Change, preparing herself for stardom.

Well, let’s just say, it wasn’t in the stars.

Hey, that’s show-biz.

🙂

This entry was posted in alcohol, Beauty, Cinema, creative writing, Culture, dessert, History, humanity, humor, media, Politics, travel, violence, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Did You Know?

Susannah, I read almost all of these to Pookie as he sat across from me trying to read the paper.
    I love the shot of you in Quick Change! What a beauty!

2. Kate Howell says:

Lots of interesting info ! Good read, stay well 😎

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

3. kingmidget says:

You were in a movie? Wow. I bow down. 😉

Meanwhile, I like chocolate cake, too, but … every day?

I love these trivia posts of yours, Susannah. And love that Jackie was a simple and uncomplicated girl when it came to dessert. I’m sure she took one piece and left the rest for the staff. A cup o’ Joe, eh? Who knew? And hey, the movie business is not an easy one and it’s cool that you had a part in it (looking lovely).

5. I can’t imagine eating chocolate cake every day, although I guess Jackie didn’t have to, it was just available if she wanted to. I think I’d have lemon meringue every day. 🙂

6. Mrs. Russ Crane. Wow! If the actress had made it big time, I probably wouldn’t know her today.

7. Super post and a lovely photo of that film star, Susannah. I could do chocolate cake every day too. Not sure about the Duncan Hines part though. We are going to the Folies Bergere tomorrow. Have a super evening. 😁 BTW I loved that ABE had a cat. Just shows how good he really was otherwise the cat would have left.

Duncan Hines . . never in a million years would I have guessed Jackie went there. And yet, I find it kinda cool that she did.

And to the former Secretary of the Navy. Say it ain’t so! No shots? No mo? Replaced with a cup of some less friendly Joe! No!

Warren Harding’s dog . . that name. I just love that name. And it got me thinking, which is sometimes dangerous thing to do. Does Trump even have a dog? I never hear mention of a dog in the White House . . .

I haven’t seen the movie Bobby, but I’ve seen several docs regarding that tragic night. I don’t know if it would be too sad too watch. Knowing what happened and how it changed the course of American history.

As for history, brava to Ms Harris and all those responsible for passing that bill. But my question to the congress people that came before 2019 is this? How could it possibly have taken that long to pass it?

And in another sign of romance being kaput, Mark Teixeira is the current leader in HR’s at the new Yankee Stadium, which opened across the street from the old one in 2009. I mean, I guess we should be thankful that Alex Rodriguez isn’t the current leader in the clubhouse. Otherwise they might be calling the new place “The House That Performance Enhancing Drugs Built”, and that doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. Not at all.

Who IS that beauty in the Jackie O scarf? I wonder if she’s a Yankees fan . . .

• You said so much, where shall I start. Bobby…It’s mainly about all the other people who were injured. Demi Moore is in it, and she’s amazing as a singer. I never realized there were other people hurt and apparently, one of the last things Bobby said was, is anyone else hurt. I think you’d like it. I did, and I squirm easily.

I don’t know whether the Trumps have any pets since, usually they’re perfect for photo-ops, like Soxs Clinton, and all of JFK’s menagerie including Macaroni, Caroline’s pony. I think we’d know if they did.

I knew you’d like the Babe reference. Sure wish they didn’t move it since, now all that magic lore is gone.

Antilynching bill…just read a book on Eleanor Roosevelt and was shocked reading that, FDR went out of his way not to pass it so he’d not lose the southern vote. Eleanor kept after him but, it was never passed until now. Wild, right?

Cake. I love that as I told Dale. It’s really good despite it being a mix so Jackie knew her desserts.

As for the girl in the scarf…wonder what happened to her…

• Sorryless says:

The idea that we lost three iconic figures in our nation’s history inside of five years is absolutely mind boggling to me. And they were replaced with Nixon and Vietnam. The lousiest trade since the Yankees shipped out Jay Buhner for bupkis.

I just don’t see Trump walking a dog, I just don’t . . .

It should have belonged to the National Register of Historic Places. But with real estate being what it is in NY, there was no way they were housing a museum on prime parking lot ground. The new caviar crib is missing all those brilliant echoes.

Wild, sad, predictable. To think it took up until last year. Three years removed from a two term Obama presidency. My God.

I would never turn away a slice myself.

Hmmmm. I think I know!

• Just read, Mr. Biden twisted his ankle walking his dog. How homey a picture is that? Timely to our exchange.

I’m a huge fan of historical places, so when one is razed, let’s just say it raises my ire. That was also where the famous Coconut Grove was where all those greats performed. No one cared that if those walls could talk, their tales could blow the doors off the place all on their own.

Ebbets Field, now an apt complex, has a prosaic sign left in its wake, as does the Audubon Ballroom on 165th Street and Broadway, in Harlem, where Malcolm X breathed his last. sigh

We got bitchslapped, by the way Marco, by an elderly woman who announced in a comment as a Republican, she was offended to be called a Trumpet and a cult member, though she admitted to both without realizing it. To not embarrass her, I deleted the comment. She also announced. she’ll never read me again. Oh well…ya win some, you lose some. I’m giving you the power salute while drinking a cuppa Joe with my other hand. 🙂

• Sorryless says:

We do have timing, don’t we?

I just shake my head after an institution or a landmark is taken away. A piece of history that can never be replaced. Sorry . . that’s not progress to my way of thinking.

I’m sorry she feels that way but I think about my daughter and how I do not like the idea of her having to live by the rules of a creep like Trump. I just do not understand how a woman can feel good about voting for Trump.

A reader you don’t need . . .

Here’s to a cuppa!

• What baffles me the most is, how they truly don’t see it, like they have blinders on. That’s where the cult comparison comes in. Peggy Noonan, an avid Republican choosing not to vote, was not in denial about how wrong things are with Trump at the helm…she didn’t become a Democrat but neither did she drink the Kool Aid. So, my former follower has issues we can’t help her with Mr. Imma.

I have had two cuppa Joes and trolling, for a third.

• Sorryless says:

There’s a kid who goes out in the field for a late night show, I think his name is Jordan Klepper. He interviews the Trumpers and lemme tell you . . it’s like watching children try and explain why Mom’s favorite vase is broken.

I relate to Noonan. We live in such contentious times, that it’s easy to find yourself with no port in the storm.

• That’s such an eloquent way of putting it Marco…no port in the storm. You write so well. 🙂

9. I did try to share this post on Twitter but the share button wouldn’t open.

10. Eilene Lyon says:

Fun post, Susannah, and so cool about your movie role! How could it possibly cost that much to fire a cannon full of ashes? Great story about the cuppa.

• Good question. Maybe there was a party afterward, or a pricey permit to fire a cannon. Mr. Depp, who I love as an actor, wastes money, my one complaint about him. When I think of all the good it could do in the world…sigh

I’m having a cuppa Joe as we speak…so to speak. 🙂

11. Hi Susannah,
    I always enjoy reading these little more obscure tidbits. Always entertaining and I always feel enriched after reading them.
    You and Jackie both look beautiful in headscarves! I want to find your movie to watch it. I think you can still be a movie star. Do you continue auditioning for movie roles?
    The only thing I like from a box is brownies. Chocolate cake for me needs to be made from scratch 🙂
    Blessings to you! ♥♥

• I like box Brownies too, like the old fashioned toll house cookies recipe behind the Nestles chip bag.

Do you know I still have that scarf? The costume person gave me the whole outfit I no longer have, but the Hermes scarf was a keeper. As for the film, it’s a bit of a cult movie I’m told, but not a great one really. I appreciate you reading my essays. Thanks, as always.

• Now I want to eat brownies ( I don’t have your discipline to stay away from sugar)
        I am sure the outfit would still fit had you kept it 🙂
        You are so classy, you should be an influencer and make boatloads of money!

• I’m just preening in all this flattery, and too would like a brownie. If I had kept that costume, imagine what it would go for on Ebay. Like I said, it’s a cult film. Some girl would snap that right up. Oh well…spilled milk, that would go great with that brownie. 🙂