What There Is To Know About Me

There’s an older man I’ve befriended who sits in the Park….

aristocratic in bearing…gray flannels and navy blazer over a seasoned Shetland sweater offsetting the Wall Street Journal he reads.

I’m particularly taken with his yellow, cashmere socks peeking from his well polished, cordovan loafers.

The other draw…he lives in Jackie Kennedy’s old building.

He told me he knew her as a pleasant neighbor, nothing more, but always admired her poise whenever they met in the elevator.

When he said I reminded him of her, I preened like a tulip during a sudden sun shower.

One day he asked me...what there was to know about me, a question that took me a aback since, I find myself far from fascinating.

After wiggling out of the survey, once I got home, decided to answer his question on the page.

Well, I prefer morning to night, rising like a rook from a treetop, at my best, first light.

My idea of luxury is reading for an hour after I come in from running, basking in the quiet.

Coffee is my drug of choice, blueberries and bananas, bobbing in oatmeal, my breakfast of champions.

I don’t eat meat, only fish, and enough of it to earn gills.

Rather than limit myself to Black Lives Matter, I feel All Lives Matter, including dogs and cats, raccoons and squirrels, even that uninvited bear approaching your picnic table.

Service to others feels more a privilege than a must, believing, receiving is in the giving, the recipient, only coming along for the ride.

Easy to please, happy with little, believing less is more.

Casablanca, my all time favorite film. Chinatown, The Godfather, Love in the Afternoon, The Philadelphia Story, The Sting, and Yankee Doodle Dandy, its next of kin.

Pride & Prejudice, The Killer Angels and A Movable Feast, my three favorite books.

I love New York more than any other place, a fish out of water whenever I leave.

My friendships are few these days, disciples disappearing either from death or random desertion, accepting it as the norm when you’re in the final leg of your own tour.

Mustn’t forget my sense of humor keeping me afloat like a tender ship leading me into port.

As for love, I find myself thinking a lot of past partners who swore they’d never leave, grateful to have saved letters I can gently reread, careful of their brittle pages and paper thin promises.

Oh yeah, Snickers are my favorite candy bar I keep in the fridge, just like my dad did, though unlike him, don’t need to hide them behind the ice trays for fear someone might swipe them.

SB, as her sun sets. Β Β

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Books, creative writing, Culture, Fashion, fitness, grace, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, women, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to What There Is To Know About Me

Susannah, thank you for this glimpse into what makes you tick. It was very insightful without any fluff. Most was not surprising, since I’ve been following your posts for more than a few years, but it was revealing seeing all the bits and pieces in one spot.
    What a wonderful compliment your gentleman park sitter gave you! Jackie was a class act, and so are you.

2. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Sweet!

Best, Hal

It’s fascinating, the structure of a human being, isn’t it? We have all of these countless small places inside of us, fascinatingly constructed into this big picture. Thank you for sharing some of these small, special places.

4. kingmidget says:

Your sun is far from setting. You’ve got plenty of day light left.

Liked by 2 people

He sounds like an interesting chap and maybe next time you should share in person.
    Meanwhile, it was lovely to read about what makes you tick.

6. I enjoyed your description of you. I’m quite jealous of the guy approaching eighty who gets to talk to you in person. Since I’m approaching eighty (in May) and your thoughts are similar to mine, I can’t help be envious. I don’t have cordovan loafers but do have killer socks. Super post, Susannah.

7. Self assessment is tough…sort of like proof reading my own text.

8. That is a thought-provoking question to be asked, almost sounds like the standard interview opening question: “Tell me a bit about yourself.” You’re quite the person. I’m glad you’re my friend.

9. I love that summary of yourself, and liked the idea of reading fragile love letters. You are so very special.

10. Eilene Lyon says:

I enjoyed reading this poetic summary of Susannah. The description of reading old letters was poignant. The importance of doing for others is no surprise, but good to point out.

11. His question seemed like a classier version of “Tell me about yourself”. Any time a date asks me that I want to run screaming. Now I realize the the problem I have is not with the question but the person asking. More often than not, my dates just don’t have anything to say and just throw that question out there without any thought.
    Not too much surprise for me in your description. I can tell you are classy, kind, generous, a keen observant of life and a great writer. I didn’t know or perhaps I don’t remember that you don’t eat meat. I always pictured you having a steak at The Carlyle.
    Many blessings to you Susannah! β™₯β™₯

• You’ve made me think of the writer Fran, Lebowitz, when they asked her, what her favorite animal was, said steak. I’m not much of a dater. I can’t quite master it for starters, and well…I could be reading. The last guy I went out with, there seemed to be 3 of us…him, me and his phone. I was so turned off, I went to the ladies room, and never came back. The guy in the Park is just an acquaintance, married forever, grown kids, grand kids. But men like him are fun to speak to because they have lots to share being on the planet for so long. The fact that he could talk even a little about Jackie Kennedy makes him very interesting. Wish I had a historical anecdote to share. Maybe one day. Thanks, as always. πŸ™‚

• Books are definitely better than most dates I have had, but still I keep trying. I guess I am a glutton for punishment :-(, or just hopeful. I keep searching, not necessarily for love, but for interesting people such as your friend. I love meeting new people and gaining insight from their experiences.
        oh no, poor guy sitting there waiting for you to return. Hopefully he got the message and won’t do it again.
        I love reading all your anecdotes and tidbits!
        Wishing you warmth in this cold snowy evening! β™₯β™₯

• I’m sure he and his phone had a nice evening. It’s okay to keep trying as long as it feels right. As for me, I feel as if I’ve just pulled my car off the road at a rest stop. For how long? God only knows. πŸ™‚

12. … and if it is meant to be, you will be found by a handsome driver while taking a break from the road πŸ™‚ β™₯

13. You had me at those yellow socks. That is a sign of interest. As for you, snickers in the fridge? Girl, high five!!