Best Story of the Week…January 7th, 2021

6:30  a.m.

I’m once again in my friend’s store, helping myself to a cup of coffee. I decide, while I’m there, to make one for Diego, the deli kid, busy making sandwiches. While I’m at it, I include a piece of packaged coffee cake.

When Tony sees this, he goes off the rails. “Do you know what that cake costs me, even wholesale, and you’re givin’ it away?”

I look at Diego who fortunately, had his earbuds in, and didn’t hear. Despite Tony being the size of a bull, not to mention full of it, I put my big girl panties on and say, “That kid works for the change you carry around in your pocket, so please spare me the lecture on the price of Entenmanns that, knowing you, expired a month ago.”

Yes, I said that.

He took this in, looking at Diego, still oblivious, then went back to hacking cheese.

Next Day

I’m back at the coffee bar making a cup, this time, for one.

Tony sidles up.

“What about Diego?”

Assuming he’s being snarky, ignore him. When he doesn’t budge, waiting for an answer, I look at him determined to not take the bait.

He then says, “No, I thought it over. They all deserve a cuppa coffee.”

As I turn back to fix one, he says, “And don’t forget the cake.”

The Norman Rae, of Baked Goods.

This entry was posted in Culture, dessert, food, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Best Story of the Week…January 7th, 2021

1. Wow! You hit him between the eyes!! You actually affected his behavior the next day! Amazing!

2. I was reading this on my phone, so the picture filled the screen. Instantly I said to myself, “That looks just like crumb coffeecake from Entenmanns.”

A bit of New York rubbed off on me from the 45 years I lived on LI.

Good for you Susannah. And good for Tony. Once he had a chance to think about it, he did the right thing. And that’s what counts. But you’re the one that caused him to think. You, my friend, are a catalyst!
    That could be a new superhero name – The Catalyst for Good. We certainly need one about now!

4. Good for you, Norma. Tony and Diago learned a lot about symbols of kindness. I haven’t had Entenmanns since we left the West Coast. Safeway used to carry it, but none to be found in Texas. Pop it in the oven briefly, and you would think someone spent the night baking. Thanks for the memory.

I love how you say your piece and stand your ground without being unreasonable. That takes strength and courage. It also can change minds,actions, and attitudes. 😼

• Don’t make a hero of me. I’ve known him a long time so , sassing him didn’t take much. I’m a little off because of what occurred in Washington yesterday. I really shouldn’t have posted at all.

6. kingmidget says:

Bringing about change, one cup of coffee and slice of coffee cake at a time.

Liked by 2 people

7. I’m glad to have your story as a distraction from the pain felt by yesterday’s Capitol insurrection riot.

I love that you produced a paradigm shift in Tony. Brava, Sistah! Brava.

9. Clever Girl says:

Love this!

Years ago, when I first started work at a small bistro, I began to bring a cup of coffee to the dishwasher at the start of my shift, being that it’s such a crappy job to do and you’re stuck in the back. Well, the guy never said thank you. Not once did he acknowledge me or even give a nod as I handed the cup to him. I gave it three tries, then stopped. When the other server found out, she laughed and said he treated her the same way. lol!

There is no better name for a pasty than coffee cake. I cannot have the stuff WITHOUT coffee, seriously. And you know when I’m in the mood for coffee cake? Whenever I’m having coffee, that’s when. No other time, just then.

You represent for those who would otherwise never know the pleasures of coffee cake. So please tell me your friend has learned his lesson?

11. Nothing silly about calling out a knuckle-dragging cretin. Kudos. While I am loathe to the whole notion of the ‘cancel culture,’ I do feel it’s appropriate to call out stuff like that. That’s just decency, right? It’s kind of been out of focus these past few years. People need to stop and think a bit about what they say/do. Hopefully Tony will do more self-reflecting and I hope Diego gets a clue and some appreciation. Cheers for the rest of weekend. There’s a lot to process after this week’s shocking event and think baby steps will be the norm for some time-undoing what has transpired won’t happen overnight.

12. First things first, that photo looks DELICIOUS, especially since my current cup of coffee is flying solo.
    You just never know how a small gesture can make a big impact. We all need more of this right now.