Did You Know?

When you come out of Union Station in Washington D.C., the first thing you see is the U.S. Capitol, beaming, across the sky.

At Christmas, it’s even lit up.

During the American Civil War (1861-1865), President Abraham Lincoln insisted, the work on its unfinished dome should continue, for the sake of the Union as well as the country’s morale.

Statuary Hall, where the first House of Representatives met in 1815, is hallowed ground, the voice of Henry Clay, the southern Senator from Kentucky serving 16 years as well as an intermittent Speaker of the House, still thunders from the ether, while Clio, the muse of history stands guard.  (1857)

Daniel Webster, his northern rival from Massachusetts, too can be heard, that despite their opposing parties kept the Union together, while a young Abraham Lincoln sat quietly, bearing witness.

(2021)

It’s also where John Quincy Adams, son of John, 6th President of the United States and the only one to return to the House, nobly serving for 17 years.

When asked, “Mr Adams sir, what party do you belong to?” he said…

“I belong to no party, I represent the people,” earning the name…Old Man Eloquent.

A plaque rests on the spot where Mr. Adams fell in 1848, carried to a Senate state room where he died two days later, while Henry Clay held his hand.   On January 6th, 2021, that sacred space was disrespected by those who knew nothing of what it truly means to be an American, a Patriot, a Lover of “Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!” to quote Mr. Webster.

But despite a very sad day that, to echo President Franklin D. Roosevelt, a date that will live in infamy, we still, had a new President at the end of it.

The United States Constitution, sired by the Founders, written by James Madison in 1787 after 234 years, though ruthlessly bloodied, still held.

God bless America!

God bless us all!

The first time I had the privilege of gracing Statuary Hall, I wept.

Recommended reading:  The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For  David McCullough (2017).

Recommended Watching: The Congress  Ken Burns (1989).

This entry was posted in Books, History, humanity, inspiration, Politics, violence, war, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Did You Know?

This past week illuminated a spoiled brat, sore loser, and megalomaniac. I admit I once had hope that he could bring a needed change. It didn’t take long to see the error of my ways.
    It doesn’t surprise me that so many others also had that initial hope. What does surprise me is that so many can’t admit they were wrong! Talk about having blinders on.

• It doesn’t matter what party you’re in…you could be a Smurf and be rightfully disappointed, not to mention, offended. Let’s hope peace and unity will eventually reign. Thanks. I’ve been very disturbed over what happened on Wednesday.

2. Eilene Lyon says:

I can think of a lot of people who would never bother to read the book or watch the film you suggest. It might burst their delusional bubble.

3. Your historical context clarifies that a pack of hoodlums and insurrectionists will not and cannot bring our Democracy down. They can disrespect what they take for granted but will not bend the people’s will to their puny cause. Well done, Susannah. You made me feel stronger today. 😊

4. kingmidget says:

A very appropriate subject given the week’s events.

• It has illustrious history that they stomped on. I can’t begin to say, how upset it made me.

• kingmidget says:

Their leader has never cared about our history or our institutions or our democracy, except to the extent those things benefit him. He was able to con and brainwash a whole bunch of desperate people into believing in destruction and chaos as a path forward. Meanwhile, as somebody else pointed out, the Trumps and the Giulianis and many of the other instigators remained safe and comfortable. None of them led the charge. They are cowards. One and all.

• Guliani really shocked me after remembering his nobleness during the aftermath of September 11th. Our mercenary president that no longer deserves to be capitalized, no pun intended, must have paid him pretty well. There’s no other explanation for it in my reasoning. What always baffles me is, all the money that was spent trying to locate this phantom fraud with no proof, that his base doesn’t see it. Show us the steal Rudi, Donald, Don Junior who belongs in rehab. What you see really is the ultimate terror of brainwashing the same way, Hitler did it. I feel ill writing that.

• kingmidget says:

Giuliani has been a joke ever since he left office. Regardless of anything he did while mayor, he has completely disgraced himself in the years since.

• I never quite understand that split personality. One minute you’re reasonably respected, the next on a wanted poster. It’s my avid naivete Midget. I’ll never outgrow it.

• I just had a Trumpet come a callin’ saying, there still could be fraud. What has to happen before people get, there isn’t any because if there were, with all their efforts, it would have surfaced. I’ll tell ya Mark. It never ends.

I knew we could count on you to bring in the good reminders of what your Capitol building stands for. A good change is coming. It will take time but I like to believe it will.

• I could have gone on a long, tedious rant but chose otherwise since, its history is worth sharing. Thanks Dale for reading, being a Canadian and all.

• Dale says:

Yes, you could have. But you didn’t. You took the high road by sharing history. Which is important. Canadian who has a fondness for a number of Americans.

• I’m glad to hear that. I had a Trump supporter sneak onto my page like a little snake. I took her on a bit, but Midget came in, like the cavalry. He moved me so, his ability to say the truth compellingly without malice. His smarts were showing. 🙂

• Dale says:

How nice of him. Maybe I’ll have to go back and sneak a peak at the discussion 🙂
        Yes, he is no dummy.

• I took umbrage at, I pen all about its poignant history, and she can only caution me there still may be fraud having no concern over what transpired there resulting in, 5 people dying. She’s the poster child for Trump’s following. It’s as though they’re brain dead. And yes, Mark is very bright, no question.

6. It can’t happen here, Sinclair Lewis in 1937 I think.

As for “I belong to no party, I represent the people” I wonder how many could truthfully stand up in the relevant house and say that nowadays.

I hope things settle and the new administration can at least get a reasonable start after 20 Jan. I fear it isn’t the end of the difficulties though.

• I think that every time I read what JQA said, the selflessness of it as an elected official. Politicians nowadays, are more self-serving and it’s a crying shame. Mr. Trump set a very low bar where integrity is concerned. Government needs to be optimistic, so lets try to be the change we wish to see. Thanks.

7. As of right now and until the 20th, we have a President-Elect! While nothing has changed due to the situation, don’t jump the gun.

• And what does that mean. Don’t jump the gun?

• I am not trying to be rude. I just think Anything can happen during the next week. Fraud could be revealed. I just know as of now, Biden is President-Elect not President.

• So you’re declaring yourself a Trumpet? I don’t think you should be on my site then. I am not trying to be rude. Susannah

• Wow! Okay, I won’t Follow your site anymore. The fact that we can’t have different political beliefs keeps people divided, though.
        Take Care.

• GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kingmidget says:

There is a difference between having legitimate political differences and holding out for a non-fact-based fantasy. Not a single allegation made by Trump and his supporters has been substantiated. Not a single one. Besides that, after the events of this past week, if you’re holding out hope for proof of fraud, that means you want four more years of Trump, a man who demonstrated he has no problem with he and his allies inciting a mob. This isn’t about having a difference of opinion, it’s about whether you believe in America, it’s democracy, and it’s institutions. You clearly do not.

• Dear Midget…I lack your political eloquence. Well said. Thank you. What happened last week can’t be excused. He hasn’t even apologized. What spoke to me…even Mitch McConnell’s wife resigned after it must have dawned on her, her husband might have been killed. I don’t understand how anyone could still hope for fraud in lieu of Democracy. I thank you again.

• kingmidget says:

The thing that really bothers me is that there was absolutely nothing political about your post. But she came on here, hiding behind the anonymity of social media, and dropped a bomb. Kind of like her “leader.” I wonder if she’ll ever realize she’s been conned and brainwashed.

• She’s never commented before…have no idea who she is or where she came from. I purposely didn’t rant because I knew I’d go off the rails, but needed to relieve my upset somehow…hence…history cleanses the palette so truth can be digested. I appreciate what you wrote.

• kingmidget says:

And now I know she’s gutless. She wrote a short post about what happened over here, without identifying you or your blog. I commented on it and explained what the problem with her comment was. She deleted the comment.

• Again, like I said when you commented to her for deleting that, what do you expect. I wish she had mentioned both our sites. Maybe we could have turned someone around. Hey, if Mitch McConnell’s wife could see it, anything’s possible Mr. Midget, sir.

• kingmidget says:

You’re such a believer in the value of “different political beliefs” you deleted my comment on your blog where I pointed out what was wrong with your comment here.

• Wow Mark, she did? Busted she is, but what do you expect from a Trumpet…sour notes is all. 🙂

8. All i know is we have a few more weeks and anything can happen. As of right now, Biden is President-Elect! I am not trying to be offensive and know I am on the other side of most of your Followers. Just pointing out the fact.

9. Laura says:

This is a wonderful look at the history of such sacred ground. Sad to say I’ve never seen the inside at the Capitol. I wonder now what sort of access the public might ever regain.

10. robprice59 says:

I have a copy of Magna Carta on my landing wall. I understand it informed your constitution (the 1215 original; not my copy). It represents a curb on the power of a raving megalomaniac. John died in 1216, about eleven miles from where I sit. We haven’t missed him much.

11. Beautiful piece, Susannah. I love your pieces on history since your love of the subject shines through so clearly. This was very timely in light of this past week, to remember the history behind the Capitol.

As Americans, we are privileged. Not entitled. The former is how those of us who have read AND understand the Constitution see things. The latter is how those cretins who ransacked a federal building want things to be.

Good on you for bringing it home, SB.

13. robprice59 says:

I was hoping the GOP would condemn him more openly. I guess they’re scared of losing the redneck vote?

• I think everyone whether they’ll admit it or not, wants to move forward. Way back when, that was the reason Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon, so the country wouldn’t have to go through more drama. I get it. It’s awful what happened, and you don’t have to be one party or the other to think so, but we need to move on. We need our self-respect back as a country. Thanks for being interested in England that too is being challenged at the moment, but…this too shall pass.

14. The first time I visited the Capital, not knowing what you just taught me Grasshopper, I too filled up. The grandness alone left me speechless. The ignorance that took place last week was mirroring the uninformed ignoramus we’ve been dealing with for four long years.
    Thanks for the lesson!

15. Grand memories…let’s work to return the good times.