Pardon Me

The idea of presidential pardons have always intrigued me, as if God loaned you his mantle….forgive forgive forgive, those who’ve trespassed against you, along with their country, in your name.

I know this will sound strange but, Mr. Trump pardoning his own Hole in the Wall Gang, seems kinda’ just to me, since they were bandits on his behalf after all, even if they were already wanted in 12 states…in theory at least.

Imagine Butch, pardoning, Flat-Nose Curry.

He pardoned 117 people in all from the time he took office in 2017, some that would actually break your heart.

Abraham Lincoln was a big pardoner through his whole presidency, 64 in all, mostly soldiers. He even pardoned one named Patrick Murphy on the day he was assassinated.

His Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton, would argue, you need to make examples of these deserters, and Abe would say…oh, they’re not deserters, just boys that are a little homesick.

My heart gave a big thump as I penned that.

We too pardon in our personal lives, like the other day when a little girl ran over my foot with her miniature stroller.

As I hopped around, she started to cry. I said, “It’s okay, you didn’t mean it.”

“But I hut you,” she said, tears nestling on her tiny cheeks.

“It’s alright, you didn’t mean to hut me.”

Then, taking my leave, ran into a woman coming out of the subway, knocking her bag on the ground. As I bent to pick it up, handing it to her, said…

“Pardon me….I’m so sorry.”

And after very little fuss, she did.  🙂

This entry was posted in Books, creative writing, Culture, grace, History, humanity, humor, inspiration, New York City, Politics, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Pardon Me

1. I’m surprised it bothered the little girl that she hurt you!! A lot of children wouldn’t have noticed or have taken responsibility.

Yes, in real life we pardon – a sign of humanity, I think. And those who don’t, are bitter people…
    Regarding Trump – I dunno how much of his pardons were acts of humanity but shall keep mum. We are all moving forward, right?

3. kingmidget says:

I don’t know … I’m not a fan of the way pardons are used these days. Trump’s pardons of all of his henchmen is a part of the crime they committed.. Who knows what Manafort and Stone and Flynn and all the rest might have told the FBI or Congress if they thought a pardon wasn’t coming their way.

Yes, I think there are some areas where pardons are appropriate and where forgiveness is appropriate. For instances, women who were victims of domestic violence and who killed their abusers. Or those who have served years in prison for non-violent drug offenses. But to be able to pardon those who committed crimes on your own behalf … nope.

• It’s the leniency in my blood I guess Midget, figuring they’ll all go straight now. I know it’s highly unlikely but my point is, if he can walk out without punishment, why can’ they. It was the very least he could do. He’s done so little from a humane standpoint which is where Mr. Biden…President Biden…will no doubt shine. Bighearted man he is, that Joe. Thanks Mark.

4. If you have the Lord’s prayer in mind, it says, “Forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” It seems to me if we ever want forgiveness, we need to learn to forgive. The founding fathers had that concept firmly in hand. Lincoln had that concept in his soul. I’m not too worried about anyone getting a free pass especially those who were working for Trump. I can imagine the reaction of my liberal friends to any Trump pardons. They have been screaming for Trump’s head since the last inauguration. To fully heal, both sides have to come partway. I remember the uproar when Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon. I still think he did the right thing for the country. I know we all had one less thing to worry about then. Good post, Susannah.

Liked by 2 people

5. robprice59 says:

The rule of law is absolutely fundamental to civilised society. Even-handed application of the law is fundamental to democracy. Any intervention by prime minister, president, king is the antithesis of even-handed. Forgiveness is wonderful. Frigging with an independent judiciary is not.

Such compassion for a child. Her parents are doing a good job.

7. I am intrigued by the inception of a “secret pardon.”

Abe had a big heart. I don’t believe the same of Trump.
    Although he’s no Lincoln, I think President Biden is a good man. Let’s hope for the best.

I heard Trump’s new neighbors in Florida ain’t all that crazy about him being there full time. Of course, you have your Trumpists who are willing to pardon his every move in perpetuity.