Bud Without Lou

I wrote a while back about two Irish Setters named Bud and Lou I see in the Park most mornings.

Like redheaded racehorses, when they see me coming, gallop to greet me.

About a month ago, their mistress, who had Lou on his leash, an immediate cause for concern, said he was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor, the vet predicting he merely had two months to live.

Like most dogs, Lou seemed oblivious to his alleged fate, waggy and loving, giving you wet kisses in-between peeks in your pocket for that possible cookie.

On Friday when I saw him, his mistress said he was so sick the day before, she was all set to bring him in to put him down, but then he seemed to rally.

Before I go on, let me say, it takes a helluva person to have the humanity to put a pet out of their misery despite their own broken heart.

She let Lou loose who, as usual was very happy to see me, sprawling across my lap as I crouched on one knee.

I hugged and kissed him hardly able to believe he had been so sick, just the day before.

I told him I loved him and thanked him for always making me smile whenever we met, not realizing, we were both saying good bye.

The following day I didn’t see them.

But the day after that, only Bud came to greet me.

Godspeed Puppy, and thanks for being a friend, when I needed one the most.

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, Family, friendship, grace, Gratitude, humanity, inspiration, Love, nature, New York City, words and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Bud Without Lou

Pookie asked me what was wrong when he saw tears in my eyes. This heartfelt piece made me think of our faithful Sam. These little babies look at us with love and have no idea what is happening. Perhaps that is best.

• I just saw Bud. He wouldn’t leave his mom, kept looking over his shoulder, making sure she was okay before coming to me. Broke my heart. She said, he’s sad. Moping in mourning for his brother. I too left weeping. They’re so human, and some ways better than us. sigh

2. I have to respect those who care more for their pets than themselves. When that moment of truth arrives, the only consolation is knowing the pet would thank you and that you gave them the best life possible. It is hard saying goodbye.

Liked by 2 people

Sorry to hear you lost a friend. Doesn’t matter what species a friend is a friend and missed when no longer in thus realm.

4. Kate Howell says:

So sweet, its just a horrendous experience to put your dog down. Stay safe

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

5. Heart-breaking! You and Lou shared love, each of you important to the other.

6. You have honored the pup. You have respected the human. The decision is definitely an emotional one. Thank you for your kind expression of this situation.

It’s an impossibly difficult decision when you have to say goodbye to your friend. You never forget those final moments shared, as I am sure you never will.

This is particularly poignant to me, Susannah, as Zeke is very close to joining Lou. I’m waiting until two days in a row he refuses to go for a short walk… so far, it’s only happened once. My heart is already breaking but I refuse to stretch it out just for me.

9. robprice59 says:

Tales like this are an unwelcome reminder but there’s no point playing ostrich. Smudge will be sixteen on August 12th.

10. equinoxio21 says:

They break our hearts don’t they? When my parents passed away we “inherited” their last cat. She had no name, just “the little grey cat that is so cute. So we called her Miao DzeDong. Chairwoman Miao. Fit her to a T. She lived her last few years happy with us. Until the last moment. We then swore never to have a pet again…
    RIP Lou.

Liked by 2 people

11. My heart ❀ No doubt Bud is having a tough time too.