Best Story of the Week…February 4th

It’s Tuesday, the day after the snow storm that paralyzed New York City for a whole day, but like always, she got up off the mat and got on with her business, explaining why I’m out in my Teddy Roosevelt boots en route to the post office.

I see an elderly couple standing on the corner of 86th and Third. They have the light, yet don’t cross.

It only takes a second to see why.

There’s an imposing layer of ice they’ll have to step on that looks threatening.

After almost falling twice, understanding what it’s like trying not to slip, extend my hand to the woman who looks at me, grabs it and safely makes it over.

I hear a muffled thank you beneath her mask and plastic visor.

Now her husband, I’m assuming that’s who he is since, they seem too old to be living in sin, as my mother would say, had his macho out, waving me away as if I were a big fly.

Yet, he still doesn’t move. The woman says,”Come on Charlie or we’ll be late.”

My arm, that’s getting tired, is still out, so he finally takes it and they press on.

Now it’s my turn, and I too am a little hesitant.

A handsome young man of color is coming towards me the other way. He’s so nicely dressed, he could be a J. Crew ad.

When he sees me stalled like a stuck car, reaches out his hand, gently helping me across.

“Thanks a lot,” I said, thinking….

kindness…it resonates, or in this case…snowballs.  🙂

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, Fashion, grace, Gratitude, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, nature, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Best Story of the Week…February 4th

1. The best example of “what goes around comes around.” I’m glad your kindness was returned.

Liked by 2 people

Proof that when you give to others what they need you will, in turn, be given what you need.

And that’s how it’s done! Lovely. Paying it forward in such a simple and beautiful way.

Liked by 2 people

4. Kindness snowballing, even in Manhattan!! Marvelous! I loved your photos, too.

Liked by 2 people

5. Clever Girl says:

Love, love, love this! We don’t get that here in So Cal. Not because it doesn’t snow (it actually does, we had a light dusting last week but it melted in 30 minutes), but because no one walks. It’s all cars. Lovely story!

Liked by 2 people

6. That’s such a great story, just people helping each other out. Your tales of daily life always cheer me. I had one of my new students who was afraid of slipping on the ice, so I sent her a link to some ice cleats, as I call them, things you slip over your boots to give you traction. Stay safe and warm!

7. robprice59 says:

My pal broke his hip falling whilst taking his Christmas lights in. Then he caught Covid in hospital. He’s 82! It’s no joke falling over. Best stay upright, if you can. It’s good to have a helping hand.

Susannah, the Beatles song ‘Hands across the water’ immediately popped into my head. And ice is frozen water, ha ha!
    Karma can be a very good thing.

This was Abbey Road meeting Pay It Forward. And it’s the simplest things that often resonate with us. It’s that little smile you probably had fixed to you later on, wondering where it came from before going “Oh yeah . . that was cool”.

10. equinoxio21 says:

Well done. A slip on the ice at that age can be very bad. Bristle bones…