If You Don’t Know, Ask

There’s nothing wrong with not knowing something. Unfortunately many people are ashamed to ask.

I was like that, feeling small because I hadn’t attended college.

When people now are surprised by this, it makes me smile.

A woman I knew years ago with many scrolls on her wall said… Susannah, all school is…you read a lot and write about it.

I’ve never forgotten that.

I’m self-taught enjoying every minute of the journey and do often share it. Just get me going on the American Civil War or Brooklyn Bridge and you’ll have to hit me with a stun gun to shut me up.

Knowledge is exciting, especially when there isn’t a gun to your head to learn it.

Now I know what George Bernard Shaw meant when he said, youth was wasted on the young. I didn’t care much either, and this was way before Tweeting took precedence. But now, it’s different. I Google constantly, and if still need clarification, call my pal Ed, aka Edipedia, since he seems to know a little about almost everything.

Hearing something explained simply without bells and whistles is by far, the best way to retain it, making it your own.

My least favorite writers are ones who flex their education making it more important than educating their reader.

Preening egos go right back on that library shelf faster than you can say…It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, thank you Mr. Dickens.

The other thing about learning is, it ups your self-esteem.

To be able to say to someone, did you know? Have you ever read? Let me share this, it’s amazing, does more for you than an iPhone 12 or Prada bag.

It adds weight to your being, making you more interesting.

My respect in someone grows when they ask a question, not to mention, increase it in myself if I can supply the answer.

I guess it all comes back to reading, making it a habit, lacing it into your life.

Francis Bacon said, knowledge is power, and I think he meant, power within oneself because you feel steadier, more reassured, the more you know.

The Definition of more is… a greater or additional amount or degree, and I’ll add, without necessarily having one.  🙂

This entry was posted in art, Beauty, Books, creative writing, Culture, History, humanity, inspiration, internet, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to If You Don’t Know, Ask

Susannah, I’ve met plenty of people with degrees who are morons. I constantly tell my students that reading anything will help them with test taking. Many tests are simply a matter of how fast you can read and comprehend. Like any skill, the more you read, the better you get at it. In addition to imparting knowledge, It can transport you to another world. But you already know this.
    Never feel inferior, Susannah. You have more up in your noggin than a lot of pompous intellectuals.

Liked by 2 people

• That’s such a compliment, coming from you, being the noble teacher that you are. Love your opening line… I’ve met plenty of people with degrees who are morons. Yes, you see them at the Library, the men’s balls hardly able to fit in their pants. How do they sit down. And the women, who bloviate their greatness as if you should bow. You know, humility and great writing do a helluva minuet, Skinny.

2. Can I get a Hallelujah Grasshopper?! I can’t wait to share this with my school-loving sister. You have proved her theory. She was reading Cosmo at 10 to read and learn while I was doing regular kid things. She went to college and earned 2 degrees because she didn’t want to leave. Then she figured out you can be a professional student right at home … FOR FREE. I’m more of a “Did you know grapes catch on fire in the microwave?” Student.

Liked by 3 people

3. Eilene Lyon says:

Education is a good thing, no matter how you acquire it. In fact the more challenging and self-directed, probably the better it “sticks.”

Liked by 2 people

I could not agree more, Susannah. I am constantly on The Google, checking anything from the spelling of a word to the veracity of a statement made on FB or whatever to curiosity about, well, anything.
    Ever notice that what you research on your own stays anchored in your head way more than, say, calculus learnt in Grade 12 or whatever? I look at that old math I excelled in and can’t remember a fucking thing about it. It is now a foreign language that got kicked out of my memory index cards to make way for more interesting stuff!

Liked by 2 people

5. kingmidget says:

I have learned far more via my lifetime of reading than I ever learned in the classrooms in which I spent so much of my first 29 years of life. Yes, for 29 years. Lop off the first five until I got to kindergarten, and the two in between college and law school, and it ends up totalling 22 years of schooling. Ugh! But something I learned about myself after all that schooling was that I have an auditory processing deficit — which means it’s difficult for me to pay attention to and absorb information delivered verbally. My mind has a tendency to wander when people are talking to me — which makes focusing on a lecture difficult to do. As a result, most of my learning has been through what I read.

The reality is, as you’ve discovered, it doesn’t matter how you acquire it. Knowledge is everything and you’ve got it.

Liked by 2 people

6. It’s evident from your writing that you are well-educated. Having such an inquisitive mind was your ticket to mental freedom and exploration. Keep it up! We benefit from the things you write.

Liked by 3 people

I am constantly Googling something, and am unabashedly unapologetic about it. I mean, I’ve been to the other end of the learning ladder, what with those walks to the library to research something or other. That was real deal research too, the kind you earned . . so you paid attention. Now, I just love to see where that Google search might take me. Anything that adds to my knowledge, I’m down with.

Liked by 2 people

8. Knowledge is self-actualizing. When you think about it, we learn something new and now carry that knowledge as part of ourselves. You can’t get much better than that in helping us feel good about ourselves. Thank you, Susannah, for a very thoughtful post. 😊

Liked by 2 people

I left school as soon as I could legally, so I didn’t graduate from high school. Do I regret it? No, not really. I have always had a job though when I was young they were low paying. Later, with experience and learned self-confidence, I earned more than enough to be happy. I didn’t get monetarily rich but I am rich with happiness.
    All that being said…if things had been different in my teen years I would be a radiologist today.

10. robprice59 says:

You have no reason to feel inferior in any way. Your writing is inciteful, well-informed, entertaining and heart-felt. Boris went to Eton and Balliol but you could teach him a thing or two.

Liked by 2 people

11. Love this one. The important thing is not what you studied in the past, but a constant curiosity and desire to know more, which you have in abundance.

Liked by 2 people

• You too. You’re one of the few fellow chronic readers I know. People just don’t care about history, just what they hear on CNN and Fox. The past bolsters you. It does. Makes you less afraid along with a clearer understanding of current events. Love your phrase…a constant curiosity. YUP!!! That nails it alright. Thanks for reading the piece. Never take being read for granted. I don’t care who you are. 🙂