The Person I Want To Come Home To

I want to be the person I want to come home to.

It says it all for me, the kind of girl I long to be: happy, sane, loyal and true.

One who greets with a smile.

I long to be rational, understanding, loving, instead of the resentful caretaker, excuse-maker, people-pleaser and above all, martyr, victim of her own circumstances.

Harsh did you say? Maybe a little, but the truth does tend to first kick your butt, then set you free.

I want whomever it is, bursting through the door so happy to be coming home to me, in all my truth and peaceful dignity.

Too much to hope for?

Nah!

To Thine Own Self Be True, said Shakespeare.

Maybe one day.  Ya just never know.

They don’t call it Will Power for nothing.

This entry was posted in Culture, Family, grace, Gratitude, humanity, inspiration, Love, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The Person I Want To Come Home To

You know what I say, where there’s a Will there’s a way. Okay, I didn’t say that but it does happen to be true . . .

2. Kate Howell says:

Good one 😎

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

3. Will power!! Can’t top that!

Love the pun “Will Power”! There are religions based on the premise of trying to be the best person we are capable of becoming. I try to be a better person, but as I take 2 steps forward I slide back 1 1/2 or more. Passing on gossip is my biggest downfall.
    I once knew a woman a few years younger than me that seemed to have no faults. It was not a pleasure to be around her. Years later I found out she liked to secretly watch her philandering husband boink his honeys at their home!
    I think you’re doing just fine, Susannah. We all have our faults.

5. I believe we all achieve our aspirations if we want them bad enough. Thanks for sharing.

I think that is a wonderful thing to work towards. Every day you chip away at it, it will take form.
    I’m rooting for you!

As they say…one day at a time, one step at a time. All any of us can do is try to be our best. Some days we soar others we dive. The important thing is not to take soaring for granted and not to let diving damage your wings.

8. Eilene Lyon says:

A lot of wisdom in this little essay. Thanks for sharing it here. Stepping outside of one’s self for a mental moment to see if what we are is what we perceive ourselves to be is a worthy challenge. Then to do the work to arrive at that place and discover the peace of personal acceptance.

9. robprice59 says:

That Polonius: he knew a thing or two. Good piece Susannah.

Liked by 2 people

10. Good point. Being the person you want to come home to rather than expecting someone else to fill that role.

11. That’s a great way of thinking of it. It’s easy to make excuses for ourselves and judge others harshly. It’s all a matter of perspective.

12. Someone recently told me, “you did the best you could do with the knowledge you had at the time,” after I was questioning myself about a situation. I’m guessing that’s the equivalent of trying and learning.
    Love Will Power!