Best Story of the Week…March 11th

There’s a runner I see every morning who, at 6 a.m. is already leaving the Park when I get there.

He’s an African man, sturdy and strong, fast like a bullet I’ve always admired. Our relationship consists of a nod, a smile, a…you’re done already Henry? I’m so jealous, like ships passing in the night.

But this morning, I was surprised to find him almost in tears.

Apparently a woman became frightened when she saw him stretching beneath a street lamp, proceeding to scream. She then took photos of him with her phone as though he had attacked her.

The gentle soul that he is, attempted to reason with her, only making her more hysterical before running out of the Park.

He was so shook up, and who can blame him.

This same scenario happened a few months ago, but the man accused didn’t stand for it, reporting the person who was making a racial accusation without cause. It made all the papers, and the woman was taken to task.

I reassured Henry, that if need be, I’d stand up for him, but he still couldn’t be comforted by anything I could say.

He was hurt, plain and simple, to be unjustly perceived as a threat just because he’s a man of color.

I watched him leave, his head hanging low, like an eagle with clipped wings.

I ask you…

what is wrong with us?

This entry was posted in Culture, humanity, inspiration, men, nature, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Best Story of the Week…March 11th

1. robprice59 says:

I’m not familiar with US media but, if they’re anything like ours, they will be whipping up hysteria, in order to peddle their wares, at every opportunity.

Susannah, I’m swinging between feelings of sadness, indignation, and disbelief. I hope that woman doesn’t have children!

3. Poor man! I’m glad you were there when he needed someone. That may make a big difference to him. I am praying for him and for you.

What a bitch. I hope to hell she doesn’t take those photos and try to ignite a fire. What is wrong with society, indeed?
    I hope you do see Henry again – give him a virtual hug for us.

5. It is not us, Susannah. Clearly, the hysteric is an upper Manhatten crazy person and should get help. It was good you were there to help Henry.

6. kingmidget says:

I’m just … speechless.

Sad story and it makes me mad! Maybe Henry is running a different route or at a different time. I hope you see him again. I am sure your friendly smile and hello would remind him that there are people in the park happy to see him and not afraid of him. I do wonder about the woman. What has made her so wretched? She must have a miserable life.

• It’s terrible to be afraid, and I’m not saying that’s why Henry has chosen to be scarce, but to be uncomfortable where you’re the most comfortable, and for him as well as me, it’s Central Park right before dawn. That’s the part that makes me sad, that he feels he can’t be there. I do hope it’s temporary. A appreciate your words.

This is where we are at. Humanity has been relegated to the clearance shelves in too many instances, leaving people such as this poor fellow to pick up the pieces. Pieces he will carry with him now, because let’s face it, you don’t just shrug that kind of thing off.

9. -Eugenia says:

This is so sad and I hope Henry will be able to move on from it.

10. Poor guy. It must be hard to have people always looking at you suspiciously. It was a bit like that for me in Korea, although there you’re either a special guest or an annoyance. I keep hoping things will get better in the US for race relationship and I think it is, although it is awfully slow.