War Is Hell

I was perusing Bruce Catton’s classic book, Surrender at Appomattox, when I came across William Tecumseh Sherman’s famous quote, war is hell.

After accepting the pandemic as a foreign enemy we just can’t see, I’ve concluded, it sure is.

Seems that fear and the virus are still doing their damned duet, attacking in equal measure with no end in sight despite the rise in vaccinations.

Yes, like a puppy, I have had my shots, but this seems irrelevant to my floor mates.

There are two people in particular, still treating me whenever we meet, like a leper, and with ferocity I might add. I always pause before pouncing in defense, because I know they’re not at their best, but beginning not to care.

Enough is enough.

Individuals should realize, this isn’t only happening to them, it’s affecting all of us, and we’re finally, if you take your smug heads out of your ass, coming out of the wilderness.

We are, so buckle up neighbors.

Kindness, by the way, should be up front, not ricocheted resentment wrapped in fear like a bad burrito.

We lead by example, and goodness comes with little cost.

To quote the Talmud...The highest form of wisdom is kindness.

I personally think, that, and smack your neighbor should becomeΒ  law.

Β  Glad I got that off my chest. I’m now a whole new girl.Β  πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Culture, History, humanity, New York City, war, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to War Is Hell

1. RosieJoseph says:

You’ve summed it up! I’ve never been afraid of the virus, but I have been afraid of others reactions to it. This made me giggle. πŸ˜ƒ

Susannah, I haven’t encountered any instances of over-caution directed at me here in the north country. I do know of two friends who still don’t venture out unless it’s an emergency and who still wash and isolate the food that is delivered to their homes.
    I have a few days to go to complete the two weeks following my second dose. The upshot to being old is that Pookie and I had no reactions to either vaccine other than a slight tiredness. My two sisters and I are planning a long awaited sister’s get-together. We probably won’t go to a restaurant, but will celebrate at my home. Spring, a time of rebirth!

• My two weeks falls on this Friday. I think it’s so great you and Pookie had a limited reaction. Me too. My arm was sore and I was sleepy, but it was really nothing. Lasted half a day. Spring, yes, rebirth says it quite nicely. Thanks Madam, as always.

Well said, Susannah. People are getting so fed up they are losing their humanity. And yes, it’s all about them, isn’t it?

4. kingmidget says:

I compare how people are handling each other during the pandemic to how they handle each other when somebody dies.

To me, grief and how we handle death is a very personal thing. Or it should be. Yet, whenever somebody dies, there are those who criticize and question how others grieve.

It’s the same with the pandemic and COVID. How we each handle this … well, there are a lot of variables at play and I think we all should be giving each other a lot of leeway. By that I don’t mean that we should be accepting or tolerating those who insist on going maskless or who violate social distancing. No, what I mean are the other things that go into our daily existence. For instance, whether or not I am willing to meet friends for lunch every now and then versus somebody else who won’t leave their house for months at a time.

I just wish people could relax and stop judging each other.

Kindness ain’t easy. It’s like in school when the teacher would lecture me on how many more muscles it took to frown as opposed to smile? I would reply “Yeah but my frowning muscles are much stronger”.

I know, I know . . be kind.

I’ll try. But no promises.

All my neighbors have been polite and friendly when I see them. Out on the streets some folks seem a bit frightened or defensive if others get too close but for most they just nod and keep going. I have never been afraid of the virus but I have been careful when interacting with others…not paranoid just thoughtful. Fear makes anything and everything worse.

• Fear is a terrible emotion. I’m fond of the acronym: FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL. Being careful is acceptable. Being insane isn’t. I’m grateful there’s such light at the end of the tunnel. Wish it was more apparent to others. Thank you.

7. I think there is a siege mentality that kicks in and takes over people. They were probably not overly friendly before the pandemic either. Let ’em go. They are not worth even recognizing as part of your world. There, I got that off my chest.

8. I loved “ricocheted resentment wrapped in fear like a bad burrito”. I couldn’t help laughing. I’ve been surprised by the vehemence of some people, and some seem insanely afraid. Life is dangerous, but living in fear is not the answer. Keep on working your magic on those around you, Susannah. You are always a breath of fresh air.

9. robprice59 says:

Strange times! I’m jabbed and Maeve gets hers next week. I’m torn between desperately wanting to escape lockdown and fearing a third wave of a some new variant. One hundred and twenty-eight thousand people have died in the U.K.

• Oh Rob, that’s just heartbreaking. Here too. I remember the tents in the Park with the overflow of people so sick, and the trucks holding bodies they had no place to take. It was a year ago, but I can still see them, like an evil circus from the outside.

I’m glad you and Maeve will be protected.

10. Crises like this always bring out people’s true characters, whether good or bad. I am reading a book right now called The American Agent that takes place in London during the Blitz. You don’t hear of people acting badly or selfishly then but I’m sure there were plenty.

11. From one leper to another, people certainly can suck. Be you, be kind.