Best Story of the Week…March 25th

I’m walking on Madison towards home. Up ahead is an elderly woman with a large L.L. Bean Boat and Tote bag.

I watch as she stops every few steps to rest.

I sidle up alongside.

“That looks heavy. I seem to be going your way, so may I help? We can carry it together.”

She sizes me up making sure I’m not about to rob her before saying, “No, I’m alright thank you,” looking at her watch.

The seer that I am says, “Are you going to the Express Bus stop, by any chance?”

“Yes, as a matter a fact I am,” she says, “and I’ll probably miss the 4 o’clock and have to wait for the 5.”

“Not if you let me help you, you won’t.”

After mulling this over she says, “Well, okay.”

We each take a strap, and boy, even with two of us, it’s heavy.

“What do you have in here, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Passover.”

“Oh,” says the shiksa.

We get to the bus that’s just pulling up, and she says, “I’m fine from here.”

“Are you sure?” I ask, “because I can help carry it onto the bus.”

There’s a middle-aged Latino man smoking, with a Spider-Man lunch box also waiting, listening to our exchange.

He says, “Don’t worry, I got it from here.”

We both smile, but the best part?

So did the woman who with little resistance, let him, making you wonder if he really was Spider-Man.Β

Hey, it is New York after all.Β  πŸ™‚Β

Β SB

This entry was posted in Culture, food, humanity, humor, inspiration, New York City, travel, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Best Story of the Week…March 25th

1. Why trust Spiderman over Wonder Woman? πŸ’•

Liked by 2 people

Maybe she had the entire store’s supply of raspberry jelly rings. That’s what I’d do. i can’t get enough of them, but it has to be the dark chocolate coating. My grandchildren like the jelly fruit slices. Maybe you can explain to me why these are only found at the grocery store in the kosher section around Passover. At least, that’s the case up here in the north.
    Any man with a Spider-Man lunch box is a hero in my book!

Liked by 2 people

3. I’m sure he was Spiderman. Great smile on my face story, Susannah. 😁

Liked by 2 people

4. kingmidget says:

Now, if it was Batman …

Liked by 2 people

How wonderful is that? Such an easy thing to help. So hard to accept it, for some.

Liked by 2 people

You and Spider-Man were a blessing whether the woman recognized it or not. Y’all done good!

Liked by 2 people

7. Susannah and NYC at their finest!

Liked by 2 people

8. I love the portrait you paint of people in New York through your daily anecdotes. It seemes to be a rough, tough-talking city where people still look out for each other and help in unexpected ways.

Liked by 2 people

And the friendly neighborhood Spider Man strikes again. With a lovely assist from the Librarian, whose super powers know no bounds. She leaps tall chapters in a single read, yes she does.

Liked by 2 people

10. I’m in LOVE with this story! I wonder how she told it at her table? Oh, to be fly on that wall.

Liked by 2 people

11. Pingback: Best Story of the Week…March 25th – Site Title

12. Maha says:

I think in the end you were able to meet with one more kind soul like you ❀️ It was a short and sweet read πŸ‘Œ

13. poorvi kumar says:

i loved this ! put a much needed smile on my face 😁