She Likes To Engage

I’m often asked, how I come by all my stories. Certainly some must be made up.

The truth is, they’re not, the reason being…

I like to engage.

Engage in...participate or become involved…(engage with)… establish a meaningful contact or connection.

Partake, share, join and unite.

Interlock, fit together, commingle and mesh.

Yup, all the above apply to me. To sum it up, I love to put in my two cents, even with merely a smile that may ignite that exchange.

Dogs are great copilots since they’re born engagers.

Their main gift is doing it without words, tails wagging and head bunts the language they speak, dogese if you will. Β

Frankly, I’m someone who’s easily interested in events around her, that cub reporter I will always long to be.

To observe is an art…to not miss the colors or asides, the expressions nor the actions that build the recollection.

Am I just naturally nosy, or is it the writer in me trolling for a tale, anything to write about, but alas, does it matter why, as long as we can engage on the page…

writer and reader in a literary duet.

To have a hand in, spark, enlighten and entertain. Or better yet, evoke and provoke another’s imagination.

What could be better than that?

Did I tell you about the woman who pulled up in a vintage Rolls driven by another woman in old time livery? I watched her alight like an aging movie star, nodding to me as she entered the bank.

So inspired by her gust of glamour, at once went home to change, wishing I were at the Carlyle in 1931 when she first opened her majestic doors, wearing gloves and a cloche, gracing the bar that, if could only talk, the tales it could tell.

πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in animals, art, creative writing, Culture, humanity, humor, inspiration, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to She Likes To Engage

You’re right, Susannah. All it usually takes is a smile or casual comment to elicit a response. Connections, no matter how trivial, are important for humanity’s well being.
    Our children used to remark that Pookie and I seem to talk to everyone. We rubbed off on three of our four children because they now ‘engage’ too.
    I’ve never doubted the authenticity of your stories!

• You’re politer than most. I don’t care what people think of my writing anymore. Had to let that go. I’m reading an old book the late journalist, Jimmy Breslin, wrote who had a column in the Daily News, forever. He always included detail that just sang to the reader. Not that I could write like he did, but I get it. You paint a picture with words, hoping to inspire your reader. Thanks as always, and why am I not surprised you and Pookie are engagers. πŸ™‚

2. And we are all so glad you like to engage. 😁 Engaging, I would say.

it is lovely to engage, to become one with our surroundings, ever learning, experiencing, sharing… keep on keeping on, I say πŸ™‚

4. Some people just observe, and others barge in. You, on the other hand, see and engage. What a delightful duo! Please don’t ever change.

5. There are as many stories around us as molecules of air, but not everyone can see them or at least pays any attention to them. You’ve got the writer’s eye and yes, it’s good that you can engage. I’m not as good about that.

• I beg to differ. You engage. Look at the work you do with those kids who have such a thirst to learn. Love the term…writer’s eye. Maybe mine are more sharpened since my hearing loss. Now that’s a thought. Thanks for reading my good friend.

I admire how you engage. I am not one who engages often, I am more of an observer. πŸ•΅οΈβ€β™€οΈ

7. mikepi3142 says:

It’s great that you interact so easily but I live in fear someone will slap you some day soon. 😦

Observing IS an art, so glad you think so too. It’s why the online world is lost on me when compared to a coffee shop or even a grocery store checkout line. So much to take in . . .

9. robprice59 says:

Back to normal!

10. Cheers from one engager to another! I couldn’t imagine a world without it, and you are lucky to live in the capital of “there is so much to see” town. When I was in town at Christmas time one year, I saw an older woman get out of a limo wearing the most beautiful tapestry cape. It was so colorful, like her purple hair and jewelry. She stood in front of the insanely decorated Burgdorf window for a photo. Why? Because she said it matched her outfit, and it did.