What Will Be?

My life looks nothing like the one I had a year ago right before the virus hit. It feels as if I’m living someone else’s, having no clue how to get the old one back.

I remember working downtown on West Street beneath the Brooklyn Bridge, telling anyone who’d listen, all that I knew about her majestic presence. Three days later, the city shut down as if Hitler marched in, to combat an enemy just as deadly, but one we couldn’t see.

We stood in long lines for food, hoarding toilet paper and soap like it was the Cuban Missile Crisis, and a crisis it’s been, masks replacing smiles, our eyes still suspicious of all those we see.

I don’t know about you, but after September 11th, I thought I had seen the worst.

Whoever would have thought.

I ran every day in Central Park petrified they’d close it. I said prayers for the sick and dying in the tents in front of Mount Sinai hospital. I pretended not to see the trucks filled with bodies that couldn’t be buried, and their drivers standing helplessly by.

I Zoomed my gloom the best I knew how.

If I may speak for all, we were bewildered, caught with our pants down in our lofty arrogance that this sort of thing could never happen in our lifetime.

So now what?

What’s in store?

What will be?

Isak Dinesen wrote…God made the earth round so we would never be able to see too far down the road.

Is this what she meant?

Alcoholics Anonymous suggests living one day at a time.

Is this what they meant?

If we’ve learned anything after the Coronavirus it’s that we truly know nothing waiting on God to see what he does next, and that includes nonbelievers.

To quote Hemingway, ‘here are no atheists in foxholes, and a hole we’ve all been in.

Wondering with a side of worry is pointless, so yes, let’s live within the parameters of this one day grateful for what is, hopeful and humble about tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, food, grace, Gratitude, Health, History, Home, humanity, New York City, war, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to What Will Be?

1. robprice59 says:

We need to put population into decline. I’m not suggesting a cull but there are just too many of us. No woman should have more than two children. That is not to suggest that women are to blame: it takes two to tango. Some women can’t, some don’t want, some will be happy with only one; so the population starts to shrink slowly. Spread the word.

Susannah, I am thankful it doesn’t seem as dire up in the north country. Yes, we wear masks up here and went through the shortages, but there isn’t as much suspicion or fear. Perhaps because we are so spread out in the boonies. I am hopeful that our vaccinations will make a big difference. Like the commercials on TV say, “So we can live without fear again.”

I don’t think most people go that far, to think about how much their lives have changed since the pandemic hit. Maybe it’s because the answers ain’t kind, I don’t know.

4. kingmidget says:

It’s hard to know how to get life even when things are “normal.” This last year has brought us to a whole different level of “normal.” And the only way I know how to get through it is just to take things one day at a time. Being careful, being cautious, while also living my life as much as I possibly can. And in the meantime, not making very many long-range plans because … who knows?

• I think that’s wise Midget, and it’s how I’m maneuvering as well. To be happy with what is, grateful what we have including our art. We’re very lucky, being writers. Creativity is a great buoy in the water keeping us afloat.

5. Don’t make plans too far ahead. Whatever the new “normal” will be I suspect it wont be the same as the old “normal” surely? A million miles an hour, never looking back to see forward and not looking at what is around you (royal you) to see and appreciate what we have. To look and to see are completely separate ideals.

OK, I am a dog so dismiss my thoughts as you may. However I have been able to see the environment around me at a different pace. I have seen trees, fields and the countryside in a light that I never appreciated before. We have stayed away from people and stayed safe. We have been lucky that we have, and had, countryside on our doorstep and I am able to walk every day come rain or shine. During the daily trips to various places, I have watched as the seasons change, the colours flow in their seasonal pattern and the light has shed new rays upon the scenery. Some people have found that they have neighbours, that their local store is friendlier and often better than the larger outlets and that their local area has interest that they have merely walked past before.

The one thing about this past year that has meant so much? That we ALL around the world felt it in some way or another. We were able to see that we are all basically the same deep down (politics and finances aside).
    I think we will really see the changes within us when this whole crazy is considered over… sadly, not anytime soon from the looks of it.

7. You must have seen the worst of the pandemic, and yet you ended with with being grateful, hopeful, and humble. You are magnificent!

8. Good advice. Live one day at a time. I think about how much better off we are today than one year ago. We know more, we’ve seen more, we’ve done more than we ever thought possible. We are still here. Thanks, Susannah.

I live one day at a time. I try to live Psalm 118, “Rejoice, this is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it”. Some days it is hard to even remember the words, let alone live them! But I try, and it does make a difference. Life has not been as hard here where I live as it has been, and still is, in other places. The last paragraph of your post is something we all need to remember and take to heart.

• But I seem to be getting guff for it, at least from people who have my email. I became so aware of all the essential workers that didn’t have the option to stay home. How they rode the train, showing up day after day. It humbled me so much. We are all so graced. Some more than others, but if we stop and rejoice, to use your word, the day positively gleams. 🙂

10. The last year has certainly had its challenges, and I like to believe we are somehow better for experiencing it. For me, it’s the aftermath that has me on edge. Some people have emerged so angrily. What is that about? Do they have their eye shut? Were they not able to be with themselves? I don’t have the answers, and I’m just glad I’m not one of them.