Did You Know..The Writer’s Two Cents Edition

The journalist, Damon Runyon, when William Randolph Hearst who he worked for on the newspaper, the New York American, wanted him to write meanly of Franklin Roosevelt, he refused, saying...

You never knock a winner.

His runner-up quote...You can become a winner only if you are willing to walk over the edge.

Jimmy Breslin, another old time journalist’s philosophy on writing moved me greatly.

I look for the dust in the air, for that is where words live, tumbling lazily, remaining just out of reach, and staying there, staying, staying, staying, until something, an unseen waft of air, causes them to drift right up to your reach, gather into sentences, one sentence, two sentences, that’s all you need to get started.

He also said...If you don’t blow your own horn, there will be no music.

Love Dorothy Parker’s pithy quote…time wounds all heels, a remark perhaps sowed from her own pain since she died alone and broken from the effects of alcoholism. The fine writer that she was, left all her money to Martin Luther King that, upon his farewell, went to the NAACP.

On a lighter day she wrote...men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.

I think I would have really liked her.

When Oscar Wilde lay dying in Paris at a fleabag hotel, he said...My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death…one or the other of us has to go.

Toni Morrison, when asked about aging replied...Every year I have lived, and every wrinkle I have, tell my story.

Hear Hear!

Winston Churchill, who wrote by ear said…writing is an adventure.

I’m most certain, we’ll all agree with that.

The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress, said Philip Roth.

But Stephen King said, the road to hell is paved with adverbs.

Maybe they should have tossed a coin.

It ain’t whatcha write, it’s the way atcha write it, cooed Jack Kerouac, a face that could launch a thousand women.

Beware of advice – even this, cautions Carl Sandburg.

My favorite might be what Natalie Goldberg said...writers, they live twice.

No wonder we’re so tired.  🙂

This entry was posted in art, Beauty, Books, Cinema, Culture, grace, History, humanity, humor, inspiration, internet, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Did You Know..The Writer’s Two Cents Edition

1. I enjoyed all your quotes — short and pithy.

We’ve been to Carl Sandburg’s last home twice. It’s a lovely place not far from our house.

Susannah, your post is always a pleasure during my morning mocha. I think my favorite quote is Jack Kerouac’s. I’ve read many a good plot that just didn’t grab me because of the way it was written. I’ve also read weaker plots that kept me reading because of the writer’s captivating technique.

3. Amen to all of the quotes, Susannah. Your summary on tiredness is a gem.

The hellish prospects made simple by the classic meanderings of brilliant minds. I love it when a writer falls upon a thought, because it always gives us a beautiful return on the investment. And I don’t know about you, but I’ve become much too cynical as it is. I would blame it on the fact we have way too many talking heads and precious few leaders, but who’d listen?

What a great collection of writers’ quotes, Susannah. That Jack was absolutely divine, wasn’t he?

6. I am only saying this once. I’d like it very much if you would stop commenting on my site. I have nothing against you, I acted nobly when your behavior was SO, SO INAPPROPRIATE. I accept your apology Vasca, but from here on in you’ll be blocked. Good luck to you.

7. kingmidget says:

I see the bear is still rumbling. I’m sorry to see that.

As for the quotes … writing advice is an interesting thing. But … everybody writes and exists in a different way. Take what works for you and ignore the rest.

• Agreed., and yes, I finally addressed the bear I hope acts accordingly. I’ll never understand Midget, people who only care about their own wants and needs.

I like to hear what other writers say….as they say in Al-Anon, take what you like and leave the rest. Best advice. Thanks.

All the quotes are a wonder. The one by Jimmy Breslin was the one that hit home for me. That’s sort of how I write. I can’t say I look for dust in the air, but the words do float around me until I catch some phrases, and then I am on my way.
    Sorry, you had to block someone from commenting. I had to do that one time. It was troubling, and I contacted WP about it, and they said to block asap.

• I love the Jimmy Breslin quote too I had just read in an old book of his. It’s what sparked the piece. Also the Damon Runyon quote came from him as well.

And yeah, I hated writing that to her, but after ignoring a good 20 comments, deleting them, she still writes after shredding me like a head of cabbage not too long ago. Anyway, I hope that’s that. Cyber life can be challenging when all we want to do is write. Thanks, as always…looking forward to Monday Musing. 🙂

9. Eilene Lyon says:

Wonderful collection here, Susannah! I think both Roth and King are correct: The road to hell is paved with works in progress filled with adverbs!

10. robprice59 says:

Marvellous collection, Susannah: thank you.

11. This is a great collection of inspirational and memorable quotes. Ah, to be that pithy. 🙂

12. Once again, you nailed it, grasshopper. At a glance, I thought Jack was Paul Neuman. Damon Runyon resonated with me. Integrity at its best.